Connecting old XBOX with Airport Extreme
Hello,

We just bought an Aiport Extreme and linked an extrenal hard drive to it. Now we want the link the HDD to our XBOX (using XBMC), but we can't get it done.

When we want to add a new source, the XBOX doesn't recognize the Airport or HDD automatically. What do we have to do, to connect them and watch our movies?

Thanks in advance,
Ingmar
Have you used the software that came with the Airport device ("Airport Utility", apparently) to configure the sharing system?
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Bomb Bloke Wrote:Have you used the software that came with the Airport device ("Airport Utility", apparently) to configure the sharing system?

Yes, and all our Macbooks and PC's can see and browse the HDD.
You could try manually creating a source that points at the Airport's IP address. It may be that you have to update your XBMC install, depending on how old it is.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
I don't know how old it is, because I just came living in this house.

When I go to the HDD via my Macbook, I can choose 'Show info' to see the path:

smb://Huize NSJ._smb._tcp.local/Elements/Beeldmateriaal

(Elements is the name of the HDD and Beeldmateriaal the name of the folder with movies)

But when I go to the section 'Video' on the XBox and I choose to add a source, I fill in the this path and it always gives me the same errors:

- Invalid computer name
- Connection not possible. Couldn't find map information etc.

Am I doing something wrong?
"Huize NSJ._smb._tcp.local" is supposed to be the "computer name". I suspect the real computer name is just "Huize NSJ", and the Mac is displaying the additional smb/tcp stuff in a misguided attempt at being "helpful".
I just tried it with the path:

smb://Huize NSJ/Elements/Beeldmateriaal/

But it is still giving me the same errors. Does it have something to do with the space between Huize and NSJ?

Thanks for your help btw!
I confirm this is doable, I was setup in this way before. I think the space could be the issue, replace it by %20 (if I recall correctly), also check you have access to the HDD without password, otherwise you will need to add login and password to you URL, for the exact syntax, it is in the wiki.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

You could also try substituting the IP address of the Airport. To get it, open a command prompt window on your PC (windows button + R, type "cmd" and hit Ok), then type into that:

nbtstat -a "Huize NSJ"

This'll show you a "node IPaddress", which'll likely be something like "192.68.0.123", "10.0.0.100", or similar. You'd then substitute that into the SMB path:

smb://192.68.0.123/Elements/Beeldmateriaal
@ Temhil:

I tried smb://Huize%20NSJ/Elements/Beeldmateriaal but still got the same errors.

Our wifi and ethernet network is protected with a password (no 'username'), but the HDD isn't protected. It is being protected by the network password.

@ Bomb Bloke:

When I entered smb://10.0.1.1/Elements/Beeldmateriaal I received an other error then usual:

"Error: -1073741772: Shared map not available"
Again followed by the error "Connection not possible. Couldn't find map information etc. "

Maybe it DOES have something to do with our network password?

Thanks!
Try simplifying the path - "smb://10.0.1.1/Elements" or even "smb://10.0.1.1". If you're still not able to connect, look into an XBMC update.
In my Airport Utility Program I saw that the Aiport uses 2 IP numbers:

I tried the one below with /Elements/Beeldmateriaal and /Elements, but got the same errors ("Error: -1073741772: Shared map not available")

When I enter the IP adresses without anything behind it like you mentioned, the Xbox immediately adds them, but the map is empty.

Does this mean we have to look into an update?

Ingmar
I would certainly recommend trying one. Google "XBMC nightly builds" and grab something recent. Just dump the result into a new folder on your console (you can have more then one version of XBMC, they won't interfere), then try accessing the Airport from that. If it works, then you can set about replacing your old build.

You can check what revision you're currently running under XBMC's System Info page. Under the default skin, PMIII, this is accessed by clicking in the right thumbstick, and selecting the menu option on the left.

It may be possible that the Airport isn't offering the share to the console because it think it's overloaded with connections already. You could try turning off all other machines on your network, rebooting the Airport, then try accessing it via the console; see if that makes a difference.
When I go to the info page it says:

XBMC pre-2.1 (compiled: Jun 30 2008)
MPlayer XBMC-SVN-r10070-4.1.2 (May 31 2008)

So I guess that means its pretty old.
I downloaded the "Xbox no installer revision 30641", but can you tell me how I can put it on the XBOX? Using a CD?
A CD is one method, yeah. Extract what you've got, look for the folder containing the executable file ("default.xbe") - that's the folder you want (along with all the sub-folders it contains, of course).

You can then, say, burn that to a disc, then use the file manager built into your current XBMC install to copy it to your HDD. It gives you two browsing windows, if you press the white button over a file/folder in one pane, there's an option to copy it into the directory shown in the other.

You can also connect to the console via FTP (username and password are both "xbox"), and throw the files across that way.

Note that one thing you specifically can't do is overwrite your old build, especially not while you're running it. You'll want to install to a new location on your drive, then set about swapping them afterwards.

If you have any problems with the particulars, you'd be better off looking around some other forums. Here and here are good places to start.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting old XBOX with Airport Extreme0