Which Zotac Zbox?
I'd like to get a Zotac Zbox to run XBMC as a media center.

Should I get the:
a) ND02 (Atom 330, Ion, 2x DDR3 1066 slots), or
b) ID11 (Atom D510, NextGen Ion, 1x DDR2 800 slot)?

Also, does it matter which I get if I plan to run XBMC Live, or Win7 w XBMC?

Thanks.
slowmail Wrote:I'd like to get a Zotac Zbox to run XBMC as a media center.

Should I get the:
a) ND02 (Atom 330, Ion, 2x DDR3 1066 slots), or
b) ID11 (Atom D510, NextGen Ion, 1x DDR2 800 slot)?

Also, does it matter which I get if I plan to run XBMC Live, or Win7 w XBMC?

Thanks.

If it were me I'd get the ND02. First off the Ion2 isn't any sort of leap forward from the Ion1. In fact many consider it a step backwards. The only real selling point is the dedicated memory it has on it instead of sharing system memory. The D510 selling point was that it used less power then the 330. The overall processing power rates about the same as the 330. However recent posts here seem to indicate that Ion2's draw alot more power and offsets any power saving the D510 might have. Other selling points are that Ion1 is tried and true. You can get it up and running with little hassle. They're still some kinks to be worked out with Zbox ID11 that makes it more of a choir to get everything working(especially audio over HDMI.) There are seems to be heating issues with the ID11. Seems it runs really hot(from what I've read.) I don't see any reason to take the newer Zbox over the older one. It doesn't seem to use less energy, cpu isn't any better and the Ion2 was crippled by intel. I'd take the old one and forgo any hassles.
I have been looking at these two also and im glad someone asked that question for me.

thanks for the response (and the question)

cheers
steve
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/zotac...with-atom/
I had the Nd02 and returned it because I thought it was too loud.

I would think that the new one should be quieter cause I have a netbook with the new n450 single core cpu and its dead silent compared to the single core revo I have.

I know I'm sort of comparing two different things but I figure it should make a difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Zotac Zbox?0