remote support
I have been on vesion 9.11 for ages and recently decided to try the new beta.
I guess I am surprised that my mce remote still doesn't work out of the box.
I use mediaportal and xbmc on this machine so am not to keen on changing registry settings for the remote as that will upset it in mediaportal.

As a remote is probably one of the most important things to a media centre it seems quite amazing that there is not full support out of the box for it and instead we just have a sticky thread on lots of workarounds using evenghost which aren't that great anyway.

I am just wondering if this is going to change?
Comparing to mediaportal you simply select which remote you want and everything functions perfectly.

I like xbmc more but would love to see it have decent remote support at some stage. Seems strange that this area has been ignored for so long unless I am missing something. (apologies if I am)
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

Windows provides no standard API for remote controls. You could argue that Lirc has its faults, but at least it's a standard, and no such standard exists for Windows. The developers could spend their time coding support for the dozens of different remotes available for Windows, but they (and I) feel their limited time is better spent on more important issues.

The simplest way to provide remote support is by using the remote to emulate a keyboard. The majority of the cheaper remotes do this anyway and it's only the MS remote (and the few full compatibles) that don't, and as you mention there's a simple registry hack to make them work this way. The registry hack makes the MS remote send Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts just like the cheaper MCE remotes, so it should continue to work with MediaPortal.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote support0