Audio terribly out of sync with SD MKVs
Hi all! Been using Xbmc on a Revo 1600 for the past month or so and absolutely love it! However, I've started encountering some issues with some of the MKV files I'm playing. I'll try and describe them as clearly as possible. I've spent the past few evenings scouring the forums, but couldn't find the exact issues I've been having, but I apologize in advance if I missed something obvious!

First off, these issues only affect standard definition MKVs. All my Bluray rips play fine.

Issue 1: When I start playing an MKV file, it plays for about 5 seconds, and then blacks out for 3 or so seconds (along with the sound), and then re-appears. At this point, if I have Interlaced handling set to 'Auto select', the movie is extremely jerky and completely unwatchable (setting Interlaced handling to 'none' seems to clear this issue up, except there are some files that clearly need to be set on Auto or De-interlaced).

Issue 2: This one seems to vary from file to file, but on most standard definition MKVs the audio goes way out of sync. One some movies (e.g. Resident Evil), the audio seems to only slip at the beginning of a chapter (going back one chapter and then forward again to the current chapter seems to fix this, although this is rather unpleasant to do throughout the entire movie!). The second variation sees the audio gradually slipping randomly, and the third (most extreme) occurs randomly with the audio slipping by about 13 seconds, and skipping forward/backwards between chapters doesn't fix it.

All of these files are being streamed via a wired gigabit network from a machine running Windows XP to the Revo (not sure if this has a gigabit port on it or not?). All files play fine via VLC on any other machine. Each file displays the exact same behavior each time it is played. I've included the MKV info for the worst scenario of audio de-synchronization in case it helps (sorry the formatting is a bit off):

Code:
General

Complete name :    T:\TV Shows\Angel\Season 1\Angel S01E01.mkv
Format :    Matroska
File size :    1.76 GiB
Duration :    44mn 30s
Overall bit rate :    5 676 Kbps
Encoded date :    UTC 2010-08-30 22:23:27
Writing application :    MakeMKV v1.5.6 beta win(x86-release)
Writing library :    libmakemkv v1.5.6 beta (0.7.7/0.8.1) win(x86-release)

Video

ID :    1
Format :    MPEG Video
Format version :    Version 2
Format profile :    Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP :    No
Format settings, Matrix :    Default
Codec ID :    V_MPEG2
Codec ID/Info :    MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Bit rate mode :    Variable
Bit rate :    5 179 Kbps
Nominal bit rate :    9 800 Kbps
Width :    720 pixels
Height :    480 pixels
Display aspect ratio :    4:3
Frame rate :    29.970 fps
Standard :    Component
Color space :    YUV
Chroma subsampling :    4:2:0
Bit depth :    8 bits
Scan type :    Interlaced
Scan order :    Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :    0.500
Stream size :    1.61 GiB (91%)
Language :    English

Audio #1

ID :    2
Format :    AC-3
Format/Info :    Audio Coding 3
Format profile :    Dolby Digital
Mode extension :    CM (complete main)
Codec ID :    A_AC3
Bit rate mode :    Constant
Bit rate :    192 Kbps
Channel(s) :    2 channels
Channel positions :    Front: L R
Sampling rate :    48.0 KHz
Bit depth :    16 bits
Stream size :    61.1 MiB (3%)
Title :    2/0

Audio #2

ID :    3
Format :    AC-3
Format/Info :    Audio Coding 3
Format profile :    Dolby Digital
Mode extension :    CM (complete main)
Codec ID :    A_AC3
Bit rate mode :    Constant
Bit rate :    192 Kbps
Channel(s) :    2 channels
Channel positions :    Front: L R
Sampling rate :    48.0 KHz
Bit depth :    16 bits
Stream size :    61.1 MiB (3%)
Title :    2/0

Text

ID :    4
Format :    VobSub
Codec ID :    S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info :    The same subtitle format used on DVDs

Menu

00:00:00.000 :    en:Chapter 01
00:03:30.510 :    en:Chapter 02
00:04:22.328 :    en:Chapter 03
00:08:59.569 :    en:Chapter 04
00:14:29.631 :    en:Chapter 05
00:18:27.569 :    en:Chapter 06
00:22:44.596 :    en:Chapter 07
00:25:08.399 :    en:Chapter 08
00:27:56.567 :    en:Chapter 09
00:30:25.215 :    en:Chapter 10
00:32:45.850 :    en:Chapter 11
00:35:33.317 :    en:Chapter 12
00:38:33.363 :    en:Chapter 13
00:40:50.235 :    en:Chapter 14
00:43:42.807 :    en:Chapter 15

With this file, the 'blackout' (issue #1) occurs about 45 seconds in, and then at 2:24 the audio 'jumps' forward by about 13 seconds, and the movie looks terrible (sorry for the improper terminology, but it get's 'line-y', like it needs de-interlaced, but setting the interlaced option to auto or de-interlaced results in the movie being jerky). Again, issue #2 doesn't occur on all standard def MKVs (although issue #1 always does). Case in point, Season 1 of Bones, ripped to MKV with the exact same program (MakeMKV) has no audio sync issues.

I saw elsewhere that someone had a similar issue (the less severe form of issue #2), and resolved it by updating to the latest version of Xbmc. I tried that, and my current version is: xbmc 9.11 R26018 (Compiled: Aug 19 2010)

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am more than willing to provide any additional details y'all might need! Thanks for your assistance!
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Add the SVN repo so you can install Dharma Beta1. Right now you're still running 9.11 which was released back in December.

I'm having similar issues, but I'm running Beta1. Let us know what you experience under Beta1. Debug logs are a good idea too.
Wow, I've been trying to do that for days without success! Finally gave up and assumed I must've had the latest build somehow. Tried again today, and finally got it upgraded, and the audio is synced perfectly; thanks! Now there's just a terrible jerkiness/judder going on with the video on my SD MKVs, but I think I saw some posts regarding this...
Cyber_86 Wrote:Now there's just a terrible jerkiness/judder going on with the video on my SD MKVs, but I think I saw some posts regarding this...

That's the issue I'm currently having.
Glad to hear it isn't just me! Hopefully it's just an easily-fixed issue...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio terribly out of sync with SD MKVs0