[LIVE] Xbox 360 wireless controller support in Dharma beta
I ran Dharma Beta 1 this weekend on my Revo 1600 from a flash drive (non-install). Unexpectedly, my Xbox 360 wireless controller worked right out of the box. On the other hand, the driver being used (xpad?) was awful. Notably, it didn't seem to assign a "player" number, but instead all four lights just kept flashing. It also never turned itself off.

I understand that with the rise of remote controls and the fact that XBMC is getting far away from its console-based roots that this may not be important to get working right out of the box. But something about working *incorrectly* out of the box is worse to me.

With the release of Dharma, the new addon system brings the potential (I assume, at least) for things like emulator/rom support. Having 4 Xbox360 controllers to play something like Mario Kart 64 seems like a great party game. In fact, playing old games with friends for fun/nostalgia's sake is the only reason I haven't gotten rid of my modded XBOX.

Anyway, back to my point. Xbox 360 controllers are a dime a dozen, and are going to be even more so when the new controllers come out in November. The wireless dongle + controller bundles are no longer in short supply (I saw a whole rack of black ones at Best Buy yesterday). And the wireless receivers themselves are easily found right now for $13 (shipping included) all over eBay. Don't you guys think getting the proper driver (xboxdrv) included should be a priority? And going further with that, how likely is it that we will see easy-to-install emulator addons in the near future?

(Also, someone much smarter than me should really try to win that money over at mp3car for getting a working chatpad driver!!!)
I tried dharma beta 2 yesterday and i experienced the same issue. i removed the xpad driver and installed xboxdrv, it compiled and installed when i move the wireless controller i can see the the cli spitting out debug. nothing happens on the screen. has anyone had luck with this?

thanks
Wow I hope the driver issue gets fixed. I still use my xbox 360 controller for xbmc. However, I'm using the windows version of XBMC because I don't know how to get it to work in XBMC Live.
How do you get it to work for windows
The 360 controller
acegutta22 Wrote:How do you get it to work for windows

You can use the xbox 360 controller event client. Just do a search on the forum.

I hope they fix the controller issue for the final release.
The wired Xbox 360 controller is working great out-of-box with xpad (I guess?) in Dharma Live RC2 - I'm not using it for navigation though, only for emulator games.
I find that, at least for the wireless version, the default driver doesn't work very well. There are no trigger button actions, the lights continually blink, it never goes into standby, and there is no multiple controller support (I believe). I did a tutorial in another thread on getting full Xbox 360 wireless controller support:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=609...stcount=92

Hopefully that helps.

UPDATE: just realized this was a thread I started, and I stated the problems in the original post Smile Sorry if I sound like a broken record!
Can't speak for the wireless controller, but the wired version does not blink, all buttons can be assigned in emulators (zsnes, mednafen, gens, mupen64plus), although I must admit that I didn't test the triggers.
Any idea if the Xbox wireless controller support is improved in Dharma Beta 3 or 4? or should I start a new thread somewhere to get a better answer to this please? I'm really desparate to know
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
I use xpadder and wireless receiver for windows 7 x64 and my 360 controller works flawlessly after some keymapping
Thumbs Down 
master345 Wrote:I use xpadder and wireless receiver for windows 7 x64 and my 360 controller works flawlessly after some keymapping

XBMC for Linux and XBMC Live Specific Support :confused2:

But thx
I use a wirelsss xbox360 controller with stock drivers and all controls are working with xpadder and xbmc.

P.S. I have an autoit script that stops/starts xpadder when I go into XBMC otherwise the 2 conflict.
cheers,

crazyivan
cable_guy Wrote:Any idea if the Xbox wireless controller support is improved in Dharma Beta 3 or 4? or should I start a new thread somewhere to get a better answer to this please? I'm really desparate to know

Nope. Same thing as in Betas 1 & 2 and the current release. You can use a wireless controller by default, but the triggers do nothing, you get odd behavior here and there, and definitely no wireless multi-controller support.

FYI, someone just told me that the drop.io site hosting the file required for my 360 wireless controller tutorial is down, so I'm going to get with him and try to get something new up.
alexpigment Wrote:Nope. Same thing as in Betas 1 & 2 and the current release. You can use a wireless controller by default, but the triggers do nothing, you get odd behavior here and there, and definitely no wireless multi-controller support.

FYI, someone just told me that the drop.io site hosting the file required for my 360 wireless controller tutorial is down, so I'm going to get with him and try to get something new up.

No need to:

Quote:
Flomaster Wrote:xbox 360 with pc usb adapter FTMFW.... gamepad + xbmc remote

not exactly out of the box, but if you can copy and paste you can have it working in 5 minutes.

this post right here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=609...stcount=92

and instead of steps one and two just do this.
Code:
wget http://drop.io/download/4cd876a7/50643606b2fb595f886bc579aa3088323319acd5/Asset/8449475/v3/original_content -O xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

-=Jason=-

Works perfect, but the url has changed.

Code:
wget http://xboxdrv.googlecode.com/files/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz -O xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Xbox 360 wireless controller support in Dharma beta0