Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)
[...following the more on topic thread...]

gamester17, it prompts the user to confirm they really want to delete the file. i'm guessing you're worried that even with this it's too dangerous (or is this good enough)?

i'm still getting to know xbmc, and from what jmarshall said, maybe i should be looking at adding this functionality into the file manager instead (maybe it's already there)? i'll have another look at that, but it needs to be somewhere where you can play the media and then delete it if you don't want to keep it around.

until an autoscan style solution comes along it seems to fit well under my videos (possibly as something that is optionally enabled).

x.
you can, ofcourse, already play videos + delete videos from my files.

if you wish to add this to my videos, then i suggest you do it using the context menu. see onpopupmenu() in guiwindowvideobase.cpp, and for implementation, see the same function in guiwindowfilemanager.cpp. that way, you don't need extra buttons etc. involved, cluttering the gui. also, you don't need any other options cluttering the settings menus. just a check dialog box (as you've already done) will suffice.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(xhack @ nov. 16 2004,21:49 Wrote:gamester17, it prompts the user to confirm they really want to delete the file.  i'm guessing you're worried that even with this it's too dangerous (or is this good enough)?
yes, still like the option to hide/disable it completly from within settings. what if friends or kids 'accidenly' press it 'just to test' :p
however like jmarshall suggest feature is kind of redundant as it is available from my files, but if implement do it into context menu
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
*bump*

i just ask again becouse i think it would be so handy (for me anyway)

why i ask is that my server is hiden a way in the basement and my work/game pc is upstairs (the boss in the house dont like pc's Confused )
anyway every time i seen a movie i dont like i want to delete it straid away befor i forget whiths one it was becouse my film dir has got a bit big :evil:
and i just spend almost the hole saterday sorting out and deleting files.
(freeing 400 gig is more work then you think :helpSmile

yes i no i am lazy but i would realy love this option
if it wouldent be to mouths work for one of the dev's Smile
you can remove files from pc using xbox using "my files" on xbmc i do it virtually everyday...
hey dint no that way tnx

but it would still be verry easy if you could do it in every dir.
becouse it still would be a nice option, having a delete buton on your remote ore so
and becouse it all ready posible it would be to mouths work to do it (i think ;-)
again! you can do it in every directory just hit the '0' key on the file you wish to delete on your remote or the 'title' key i think it is to bring up a context menu!
i just tried this. the '0' on the remote removes a movie from the database, but does not the file(s) itself. and it does not work when viewing the files directly.

i think the files should be deletable directly, and if you delete from the database, there should be an option to completely remove everything that belongs to that movie/album/picture (the database entry, the files, any bookmarks, thumbnails, etc.) in one step. and yes, this should be an option you'd have to activate in the settings first.

kosi
adding context menu items delete and rename to my music my pictures and my videos, i dont really need this but would be great cause context menus there now. but i would like to be able to turn off /on file minipluation on context menus via settings

no its kind of been asked for but this is not buttons to do it
just in context windows only
that's what the filemanager is for.

i konw thats what file managers for just saw that it was requested and context menus seems a good idea for it. but id like the option to disable it for me to stop people deleting stuff by accident

cheers
(jmarshall @ dec. 18 2004,13:05 Wrote:that's what the filemanager is for.
jmarshal, there have been times where i've been looking through my music / video collection & thought, "i must delete that crap". thing is, i (and others i suspect) have thought - "i'll do that later", thing is later never seems to be the right time (or like me, you forget until the next time you see it & say "i must delete that crap").

bottom line is, i'd appreciate a rename & delete option on the context menu too.

one things for sure, my collection would be tidier!

regards - steve.

ps, if it is not as straight forward a change as it seems, then no biggy. it is a 'nice to have' feature that we can live without.

byeeeeeeeeeeeee.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
actually, theres a little problem with the context menu in music and video... the context menu is mapped to title on the remote in the global section, but both music and video override title and map it to "switch to playlist view".

so, by default, the context menu is unreachable in music and videos when using the remote.

if the music and video context menus had an option to switch over to playlist view, then the title override in the various music and video sections of keymap could be removed.
the music + video context menus do have a playlists button - it's called "now playing". so the mapping for title can probably be removed at this point now.

as for delete on the menu, it just seems to me to be far too easy to accidently do it, plus, it will clutter the menu up. perhaps we could add a double-menu system (ie one of the items on the menu causes an extra sub-menu to open, which could have the file based stuff in it such as delete + rename etc.)

cheers,
jonathan

accidently?

1 button to open context menu.
x move(s) to select 'delete'
1 button to action 'delete'
* confirm dialog asks "are you sure you want to delete 'this_video_file.avi'?  [yes], [no] *
1 move to select yes  (no is selected by default)
1 button to action 'yes'

jonathon, i really think that if people make this accident, then the should not own metal knives & forks!

as for a sub menu of file related items - thats a great idea, reduse clutter & give the file options (then perhaps in the future other items like 'move to...' and 'shrink avi...' and 'edit id3 tags...' and 'add to favorites' and 'rate this video...' and and...)

yip, great idea.

regards - steve.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)0