Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)
the more the marrier Smile
hi guys,

if it weren't for xbmc, i'd probably never use my xbox. now i hardly turn on the tv without turning on the xbox first. incredible piece of work!

i have a pc that records tv shows and streaming audio programs into a shared folder. i then use xbmc to watch those tv shows or listen to the radio programs i've recorded.

it'd really help if i could highlight a file in my videos or my music and then, using the white button, call up a window that included an option to delete the file. after i watch or listen to programs, i like to delete them.

something to add to the list perhaps?

thanks...
do it from my files. is it really necessary to be able to delete from the video/music view?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ feb. 17 2005,09:25 Wrote:is it really necessary to be able to delete from the video/music view?
of course it isn't necessary, but i understand users that want it that way. i've been thinking the same a few times myself...
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
no, it's not really necessary.

but it would make things easier.

just count the number of button presses required to go to my files and select the appropriate smb resource, dir, then file, then delete it.

...and then to return to where you were.

all that's needed is to just add a delete option to the menu that is already invoked by pressing the white button.

thanks anyway for your consideration.
(sd00 @ dec. 24 2004,13:24 Wrote:accidently?

1 button to open context menu.
x move(s) to select 'delete'
1 button to action 'delete'
* confirm dialog asks "are you sure you want to delete 'this_video_file.avi'?  [yes], [no] *
1 move to select yes  (no is selected by default)
1 button to action 'yes'

jonathon, i really think that if people make this accident, then the should not own metal knives & forks!

as for a sub menu of file related items - thats a great idea, reduse clutter & give the file options (then perhaps in the future other items like 'move to...' and 'shrink avi...' and 'edit id3 tags...' and 'add to favorites' and 'rate this video...' and and...)

yip, great idea.

regards - steve.
ok, so lets use this and take into account the "no excuses" stupidity factor.

take your file manager and encode it so its password protected (master password). then in the submenus set a call for password confirmation rather than a yes/no dialog or even go so far as to query for password and then the idiot warning "are you certain you wish to delete [file]? this option cannot be undone. y/n
Star 
kids will be kids and friends will sometimes act like idiots :p i for one would not want an easy accessable delete function (other than the one in file-manager), and i think that the majority of xbmc-users would agree that if this was implemented anyway then it should be disabled by default and could only be activated via gui settings (under a 'advanced settings') or inside a xml
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i have a fair amount of friends who have modded xboxes, but don't know how to do everything. when they want to delete a movie, first they delete the file, then call back complaining that the icon is still there. then i explain that you also need to remove it from the database.

basically it would be nice to have delete on the context menu, then also have it remove the entry from the database.

also for the rename, maybe letting the user rename the title not just the filename. (something you cant do in my files)
i can go along with gamester17's logic that a delete feature shouldn't be enabled by default and has to be switched on (preferably through the interface and not by editing the xml file).

being able to delete a file directly is all about speed and conveniance. i can't see how having the option to rename a file through the gui is either fast or conveniant.

but if someone wants that feature, good luck to them.
it might be cool to have the option "ask for file deletion after view" so you can delete the file once you have watched it.
(abrasion @ jan. 04 2004,05:05 Wrote:ok then here's what i want.
this will never get you any where, 'i want' always get's ppl's back up.
not that my opinion holds much weight as this is my first post but i've been wanting the ability to delete from the context menu in my videos and my music for a long while now.
having the abilty to delete a file in my video would make file managment much easier in xbmc. as it stands now once i have completed watching something in xbmc i have to go to my files and select the file i would like to delete. having this ability in my videos would be great. for regular file maintence my files would still be the perfered choice.

there may already be a way to do this and if there is then this is more of a question of how.

thanks
+1
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
this has been brought up before and decided not, however if it is of true interest feel free to check the cvs patches section. there is such a patch there although its function with the current cvs i cannot confirm nor deny.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)0