Dharma on my Old PC - for the bedroom.
After failing miserably to get my old PC to boot from USB I decided to install the Dharma build on Vista.

It's a while since I touched that PC but I'm pretty sure it was capable of playing 1080P via DXVA clips using a specific driver (8.5 hotfix) and MPC-HC.

I enabled DXVA in the settings but am still getting CPU usage jumping between 50% and 100% and average frame rates of around 18.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the stutter ?

The spec is: A7N8X-E Deluxe, 1GB RAM, ASUS AH 3650 Silent with the latest Vista drivers (8.6?).

Thanks in advance.
If you enable debug logging and restart XBMC and play a video the debug log (%appdata%\xbmc.log) will tell you if XBMC is using DXVA.

JR
Are you sure the 3650 is capable of hardware decoding? That could be your problem.

Also, if you can get ahold of a copy, I'd recommend upgrading to Windows 7, or downgrading to XP. While I personally have no problems with Vista, I do know that both 7 and XP run a bit better on lesser hardware than Vista does. 7 especially runs great on older hardware.
Hi, yes I bought the 3650 because it is capable of DXVA. It played 1080P films OK on MPC-HC with little tweaking.

The problem sorted itself out last night. I applied all of the Windows update patches (schoolboy error, sorry). There were a few as I haven't used the PC in a year. Anyway, it's working OK now with around 30-50% CPU usage on a 1080P clip of Transformers 2.

I do have a copy of Windows 7 though that I bought with the intention of putting on a new PC that I never got round to building.

What XBMC advantages would I get if I installed Windows 7?
I really like playing games too in my bedroom. That's why i changed it into platform Smile

platform beds

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma on my Old PC - for the bedroom.0