• 28(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
Yeah, the ATV2 has been great to be able to play stuff back cheaply, but roll on an untethered JB for the ATV3! Big Grin

I'll give that a go with Confluence, see if it does the thumbs, etc.

How do you use NFS for thumbs?
(2012-04-08, 18:50)Finchy Wrote: How do you use NFS for thumbs?

You will have to install unix services on your whs, and then enable nfs sharing for the thumbs folder and assign the appropriate permissions, for thumbs they need to be read/write btw. Then in your advanced settings for the path substitution, instead of smb, replace it with nfs

Setting up nfs is pretty simple in linux (which is where I have my familiarity) unfortunately I am not a Windoz person Smile

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
                <substitute>
                        <from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
                        <to>nfs://IP/PATHTO/Thumbnails</to>
                </substitute>
        </pathsubstitution>
It's pretty easy to set up NFS in WHS 2011 (it's build on Server 2008), just add the role to the server manager adn you then can add NFS sharing to any folder.

Ooh! I've just set the thumbs to NFS sharing, removed content and re-set the content and it looks like it's doing it! Woo! Finally might be getting there! This is what worked for me;

Quote:<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>nfs://192.168.1.4:/XBMCThumbs[/code]
</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
[code]

Still very sluggish, but definately progress, and I can see by going into the MySQL DB with SQLyog that the movie, etc data is now in there and the new video and music tables have ben created.
One more question lads - does it make a difference which HTPC updates the library?

The DB is stored on the main living room HTPC, however XBMC is not running all the time so when Sickbeard finishes unless XBMC is running the library doesn't get updated until it does.

If my missus turned on the bedroom PC and had 'Update Library on Startup' checked this wouldn't cause any issues no?
(2012-04-08, 23:57)PeterUK Wrote: One more question lads - does it make a difference which HTPC updates the library?

The DB is stored on the main living room HTPC, however XBMC is not running all the time so when Sickbeard finishes unless XBMC is running the library doesn't get updated until it does.

If my missus turned on the bedroom PC and had 'Update Library on Startup' checked this wouldn't cause any issues no?

nope
(2012-04-08, 23:57)PeterUK Wrote: One more question lads - does it make a difference which HTPC updates the library?

Not as long as all your sources that have "set content" are the same.
OK, so the ATV2 and the XBMCbuntu are both syncing up (woo!) but there are still a few issues to iron out.

After dropping the xml files into XBMCbuntu and rebooting, it booted into the Ubuntu environment instead of XBMC. Any ideas how to make sure it boots into XBMC?

Also, both ATV and XBMCbuntu are reaaaaaally sluggish. Are there any tweaks I can do to speed them up? MySQL is running on Windows Home Server which connects to the router via gigabit LAN, and it moves files around the home network at excellent speeds, so I doubt it's actual machine that running on that's slowing things down. Any ideas?
maybe I got something in there...
(2012-04-09, 07:34)Ned Scott Wrote:

Not as long as all your sources that have "set content" are the same.

Brilliant, thanks.
Hi

I am also having problems with ATV 1. Its is very slow. All thumbs etc are store locally. Just created the athe following advancedsettings.xml file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings> -<videodatabase> <type>mysql</type> <host>192.168.1.10</host> <port>3306</port> <user>xbmc</user> <pass>xbmc</pass> </videodatabase> -<musicdatabase> <type>mysql</type> <host>192.168.1.10</host> <port>3306</port> <user>xbmc</user> <pass>xbmc</pass> </musicdatabase> </advancedsettings>

It can take up to 30 seconds to refresh a screen. It is working because the watched status of a program is changing on all my machines. But when I pause a program on one machine the others do not detect that it is paused and start from the beginning.

I followed the procedure outline on the XBMC site without th path substition because I heard that it slows things down even more.

Just tried a Mac mini as well same issue. My other PC hesitates but only for a second or two.

Well I'm definately getting there, but a few issues still.

Firstly, the speed when changing between screens, and also when first playing is much slower than when it's all local. Are there any MySQL optimisations that might speed that up? It's usable, but very frustrating.

Also, on TV shows where it's not picked up the correct info and I refresh the data, when I go to select different artwork it just has a load of blank polaroid type thumbnails and doesn't pick up any other artwork. It used to always pick it up, so any ideas why it's not doing that? I often get a 'failed to connect to remote server' error. Is that the local media server or the servers it's scraping from?
(2012-04-10, 13:38)bayboynz Wrote: Hi

I am also having problems with ATV 1. Its is very slow. All thumbs etc are store locally. Just created the athe following advancedsettings.xml file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings> -<videodatabase> <type>mysql</type> <host>192.168.1.10</host> <port>3306</port> <user>xbmc</user> <pass>xbmc</pass> </videodatabase> -<musicdatabase> <type>mysql</type> <host>192.168.1.10</host> <port>3306</port> <user>xbmc</user> <pass>xbmc</pass> </musicdatabase> </advancedsettings>

It can take up to 30 seconds to refresh a screen. It is working because the watched status of a program is changing on all my machines. But when I pause a program on one machine the others do not detect that it is paused and start from the beginning.

I followed the procedure outline on the XBMC site without th path substition because I heard that it slows things down even more.

Just tried a Mac mini as well same issue. My other PC hesitates but only for a second or two.

Did you do the optimizations suggested in the wiki?

Also if you want to pick up where you left off on a different machine, you have to STOP, not pause, because when a video is stopped, xbmc creates an auto-bookmark, which is read on the other machine. Pause does not generate that bookmark.
also validate your my.cnf/my.ini settings..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1065224
I currently have 2 PCs running 10.1 and sharing a library on my UnRaid server. Can I install Eden on a third PC and have it use the same MySQL without messing up the existing setup? It would create new databases without disturbing the existing ones, right? Should I setup a new user or any other precautions? I can then get to know Eden safely before updating the main TVs.

Thanks
(2012-04-13, 02:11)jcato Wrote: I currently have 2 PCs running 10.1 and sharing a library on my UnRaid server. Can I install Eden on a third PC and have it use the same MySQL without messing up the existing setup? It would create new databases without disturbing the existing ones, right? Should I setup a new user or any other precautions? I can then get to know Eden safely before updating the main TVs.

Thanks

I'd make a backup of the MySQL DBs, just in case, but it should work just as you said. It will make an upgrade copy, but leave the originals alone. This will mean that the v11 clients won't be in sync with the v10.1 clients, though.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1