• 32(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
(2012-06-18, 06:15)Ned Scott Wrote: In your advancedsettings.xml file:

Code:
<substitute>
  <from>E:\root\Media\Videos\Movies\</from>
  <to>SMB:\\JOE-AMD64\Media\Videos\Movies</to>
</substitute>

Needs to be changed to

Code:
<substitute>
  <from>E:\root\Media\Videos\Movies\</from>
  <to>SMB://JOE-AMD64/Media/Videos/Movies/</to>
</substitute>

(2012-06-20, 17:43)tboooe Wrote: So I dumped my database and started over from scratch. The issues b4pjoe described are gone though the performance is very sluggish compared to the previous version of XBMC I was running. When I try to get to the Info screen, there is a 2-3 second delay. When I try to play a video there is a 3-5 second delay. Anyone else having delay issues?

I've tried both of the above and still have the exact same problems I described earlier. Any more ideas?
I finally got it to work by recreating my Movie and TV Show Library and using the network path to start with instead of a local drive. Like this when originally creating the video source. "smb://joe-amd64/Media/Videos/Movies/" (without the quotes). Never could make the path substitution in advancedsettings.xml work.
I have had this setup working perfectly for a year or so now with 3 profiles (Wife & mine, Child 1 & Child 2).
I am going away for 3 weeks and have a couple of friends house sitting for that period and would like to set them up a seperate profile. Is there a way of copying my profile with all the information except for the watch list without going through scanning the whole library back in because last time it took about 3 days and now my collection is even bigger?

The watched items isn't so much of a big deal, I just want to avoid rescanning all the information again.
Can anyone help?, I am going away in a few days and would love to set this up
Did you try exporting your database then importing it into the new profile? Then you would just have to unmark the watched status.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
No I haven't yet, thanks I will try that tonight.
Just followed the Wiki:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

and I have my living room HTPC (running Windows 7, which also contains the MYSQL server) running the July snapshot of XBMC with a populated MYSQL database. Success! One question/issue though:

I forgot to enable the checkbox 'Enable Root Access From Remote Machine' as per this guide when setting up MYSQL server:
http://www.howtogeek.com/75535/how-to-sy...with-xbmc/

I wasn't sure if it was needed at the time, and it seemed more of a security risk than anything. If I was just using this HTPC, I wouldn't think it's necessary because anytime I work on the HTPC, I remote in using RDP. The issue is I'm adding a PIVOS XIOS DS player into the mix later today and installing XBMC Linux on it for the bedroom. If I want to have this device access the XBMC database, and update the library, should I have enabled that option, and if so, how should I go about correcting that mistake at this point?
(2012-08-15, 16:03)cashel Wrote: Just followed the Wiki:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

and I have my living room HTPC (running Windows 7, which also contains the MYSQL server) running the July snapshot of XBMC with a populated MYSQL database. Success! One question/issue though:

I forgot to enable the checkbox 'Enable Root Access From Remote Machine' as per this guide when setting up MYSQL server:
http://www.howtogeek.com/75535/how-to-sy...with-xbmc/

I wasn't sure if it was needed at the time, and it seemed more of a security risk than anything. If I was just using this HTPC, I wouldn't think it's necessary because anytime I work on the HTPC, I remote in using RDP. The issue is I'm adding a PIVOS XIOS DS player into the mix later today and installing XBMC Linux on it for the bedroom. If I want to have this device access the XBMC database, and update the library, should I have enabled that option, and if so, how should I go about correcting that mistake at this point?

Yeah, I don't believe it is required. XBMC has a specific user and password that is set up in those steps for accessing and updating the library, so it should be all good. XBMC doesn't need access to the root MySQL user.
I'll be trying this out soon as I want to start using XBMC from multiple places. One question - after this setup, where all the data, thumbnails, content etc live on the server, do the numerous addons and tools still work properly? e.g. something like Artwork downloader.

And won't you still need to run XBMC on a client pc regularly so that it can scan and update the library with new content on the server.
(2012-08-16, 11:05)MrCrispy Wrote: I'll be trying this out soon as I want to start using XBMC from multiple places. One question - after this setup, where all the data, thumbnails, content etc live on the server, do the numerous addons and tools still work properly? e.g. something like Artwork downloader.

And won't you still need to run XBMC on a client pc regularly so that it can scan and update the library with new content on the server.

In just using MySQL itself, only the databases for music and videos are shared. The video library will contain summaries, watch status, location of the library on your network, bookmarks, resume progress, and some other metadata stuff.

When XBMC is using a MySQL db it pretty much treats it the same way as if it were a normal local db. If you update the library on an XBMC device that is connected to MySQL, it updates like normal, but that update gets reflected to anyone accessing the db. You can edit, remove, use various tools, just as you would for a normal local SQL db.

Because XBMC doesn't re-download images for each XBMC device, there are a few options for making sure you have images/covers/thumbnails on all clients outlined on the wiki guide. These won't be needed for nightly builds (wiki) and the future XBMC v12 release (which does re-download the images fro each XBMC device), but for the time being you can choose from manually copying the thumbnails folder, pathsubs, or symbolic links.

Step 6 of the wiki guide, "Sync other parts of XBMC", goes into some other things that can be shared.
Ned, interesting about the nightlies not needing path substitution for thumbnails which has been working great for me so far.

If I select certain specific thumnails on my main machine, will the other machines download the same thumbnail?
(2012-08-17, 15:44)bilbonvidia Wrote: Ned, interesting about the nightlies not needing path substitution for thumbnails which has been working great for me so far.

If I select certain specific thumnails on my main machine, will the other machines download the same thumbnail?

Yep. The url path for the thumbnail to be used is stored in the video database that gets shared, so the thumbs should be the same across all machines.
(2012-08-16, 13:55)Ned Scott Wrote: In just using MySQL itself, only the databases for music and videos are shared. The video library will contain summaries, watch status, location of the library on your network, bookmarks, resume progress, and some other metadata stuff.

When XBMC is using a MySQL db it pretty much treats it the same way as if it were a normal local db. If you update the library on an XBMC device that is connected to MySQL, it updates like normal, but that update gets reflected to anyone accessing the db. You can edit, remove, use various tools, just as you would for a normal local SQL db.

Because XBMC doesn't re-download images for each XBMC device, there are a few options for making sure you have images/covers/thumbnails on all clients outlined on the wiki guide. These won't be needed for nightly builds (wiki) and the future XBMC v12 release (which does re-download the images fro each XBMC device), but for the time being you can choose from manually copying the thumbnails folder, pathsubs, or symbolic links.

just have a query on xbmc v12, when you say re-download the images for each device do you mean it will need to re-download the images from the internet again or from the pc with mysql? Have a huge video library so wouldnt like to have to have to download all images from internet again for each xbmc client i use. Plus if you have a big library will clients with small storage space be able to handle all the images? My main pc's userdata folder is 4.78gb.

Please can someone help. I can't get this to work. This is what I have done:

Running MySQL on a WHS2011 which is also running XBMC Frodo r3 which is my media player for the main lounge.
I exported my video library before unintalling XBMC (wanted to start fresh)
Installed a fresh copy of Frodo.
Created the advancedsettings.xml file as instructed and placed it in the correct directory.
Imported the the library
Added a source via video>files>add source.
Used SMB//NAS........ as my source where all my movies are stored.
Added the TCP and UDP port 3306 exceptions on the incoming and outgoing in the firewall.

On my laptop I did the same thing

When I watch a movie on the main server and pass and then try and watch the same movie on my laptop, it starts from the beginning and not from where it was passed.

Here is the xbmc.log file from my laptop. http://pastebin.com/TbsZfkfu

getafix: you have the port in there twice in your advancedsettings.xml file. Remove the port from the host tag and see if that fixes it.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1