[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)
I finally gave in and tried Opdenkamps PPA, as well. It installed it's own versions of the libva1 and libva-dev? Whatever it did, I now have VAAPI enabled in XBMC. Unfortunately, it has terrible h.264 compatibility. Besides the lack of deinterlacing it also stuttered and dropped frames like crazy on all my Sony AVCHD home videos as well as everything I had tried re-encoding through Handbrake (with both 'Normal' and 'High' Profile settings). A handful of downloaded HD movie trailers played fine, though. So it works but only with 'perfectly' encoded files.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned this before... Using xvba 0.7.6 the 'vainfo' utility reports hw-accel for MPEG2 but with the newer 0.7.7 it does not. I thought I had read somewhere that ATI had dropped MPEG2 support from their driver so the new xvba maybe correct?

P.S. I tested all my h.264 files with both versions of xvba and the results were the same.
bsmith1051 Wrote:I finally gave in and tried Opdenkamps PPA, as well. It installed it's own versions of the libva1 and libva-dev? Whatever it did, I now have VAAPI enabled in XBMC. Unfortunately, it has terrible h.264 compatibility. Besides the lack of deinterlacing it also stuttered and dropped frames like crazy on all my Sony AVCHD home videos as well as everything I had tried re-encoding through Handbrake (with both 'Normal' and 'High' Profile settings). A handful of downloaded HD movie trailers played fine, though. So it works but only with 'perfectly' encoded files.

Same here - with vaapi enabled the 264 encoded files stutter.
There is in the first post something a do not understand:
"sudo apt-get install -f" is this command doing anything or is it just a mistake.
Trying to get this working... But wow.

Anyone got this further? I tried Vanek's method but it got stuck at the new kernel stuff.

Anyone managed to make some progress?

Cheers!
Check this great write-up by Alanww1for intel i3 and VAAPI. It should help you a lot: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86581
AMD has opened up XvBA

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...&px=OTEzNg
I got it working on hd 4200 using latest: libva,xvba-video,fglrx but...
"xvba_video: driver does not support H.264 content over [email protected]. Please upgrade." This is from mplayer with vaapi support and this movie (avc [email protected] 16ref) is unwatchable. I don't found any problems yet with [email protected]
bsmith1051 Wrote:I finally gave in and tried Opdenkamps PPA, as well. It installed it's own versions of the libva1 and libva-dev? Whatever it did, I now have VAAPI enabled in XBMC. Unfortunately, it has terrible h.264 compatibility. Besides the lack of deinterlacing it also stuttered and dropped frames like crazy on all my Sony AVCHD home videos as well as everything I had tried re-encoding through Handbrake (with both 'Normal' and 'High' Profile settings). A handful of downloaded HD movie trailers played fine, though. So it works but only with 'perfectly' encoded files.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned this before... Using xvba 0.7.6 the 'vainfo' utility reports hw-accel for MPEG2 but with the newer 0.7.7 it does not. I thought I had read somewhere that ATI had dropped MPEG2 support from their driver so the new xvba maybe correct?

P.S. I tested all my h.264 files with both versions of xvba and the results were the same.

Same here. I also got it working with 785G.(A785GMH/128M + Unlocked X3.)

Tried different combos of "software":

Ubuntu 10.10 32bit + Stock Driver + latest libva (0.32.x) + xvba 0.7.8
Ubuntu 10.10 32bit + 11.2 ATi + latest libva (0.32.x) + xvba 0.7.8
Ubuntu 10.10 32bit + 11.2 ATi + libva (0.31.x) + xvba 0.7.8
Ubuntu 10.10 64bit + 10.12 ATi + libva x64 (0.31.x) + xvba 0.7.7 x64

Vaapi option appears after compiling but I don't know why this is a no go..:o
well, okay, my MSI E350 zacate system is here, i use natty 11.04 minimal with catalyst 11.4 (8.840) and the actual libva and xvba and VAAPI works so far

I am building xbmc right now with this option enabled. We will see... but the systems is 5 times slower than my core i3 one =/

Takes hours....

Edit:

it worked but now i cant get it working again, how to reinstall libva?
Krautmaster Wrote:well, okay, my MSI E350 zacate system is here, i use natty 11.04 minimal with catalyst 11.4 (8.840) and the actual libva and xvba and VAAPI works so far

I am building xbmc right now with this option enabled. We will see... but the systems is 5 times slower than my core i3 one =/

Takes hours....

Edit:

it worked but now i cant get it working again, how to reinstall libva?

What is the general performance of the machine like i.e. browsing movies and changing menus etc?
http://www.abload.de/img/img_0151omv7.jpg

seems to work so far but xbmc crashes using VAAPI, any ideas?

@ dashford

using XBMC is surprisingly good. So no difference to my core CPU. Boot time is doubled but not really bad with SSD ... but try not to compile xbmc, feel like hours Wink
hm XBMC crashes, i made a backup and now i am going to try ubuntu 10.10 x64
Krautmaster Wrote:hm XBMC crashes, i made a backup and now i am going to try ubuntu 10.10 x64

XBMC crashed on me too when playing using vaapi and the newest ATI driver, upgrading to 10.10 did not solve the issue for me. I had better luck with older ATI drivers, but even then I got garbled video on a lot of movies.
try the last stable one 11.3
Krautmaster Wrote:try the last stable one 11.3

I am using 11.3. I should have mentioned that in my reply. I think 10.7 was the last version that worked for me, but even then some videos were kind of garbled.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)0