[Live] Won't Shutdown / Suspend
Ok, I've just reinstalled 9.11 to eliminate any problems caused by me trying to get this working.

Right now it suspends but brings me right back to the main menu. Shutdown worked the first time I tried it. Should I just perform the above steps for installing policykit or should I look into the grub instructions first?

Now that I'm working with a clean build, I don't want to mess anything up, and am a little confused on what needs to be done. Thanks!
vikjon0 Wrote:You guys really do not like searching or checking your logs do you?

I've done nothing but search! Knowing the correct terms is 99% of the battle - something that is difficult for a linux noob. And while the logs are helpful - noobs don't usually understand what they mean anyway Wink

Anyway...I've solved my issue. See this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81074. This resolves the autoresume issue. Then you must upgrade to the newer kernel version as stated above - along with the correct USB port being enabled. No permissions stuff required for me.

Happy to say my suspend / resume via remote is now working correctly.

Edit: And http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en has just released Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta2 as well.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Still stuck at this point:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic
travist Wrote:Still stuck at this point:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic

Have you tried the xbmcfreak iso I mentioned above. 9.11 is an older version I think. Some of the older versions had a kernel that worked - pre-.22 I think. I'm using a new version xbmcfreak Dharma Beta1 as my test bed. About to upgrade to the above version.

I had to add the autoresume stuff first to get the suspend working (see my post). The rest of it, including the kernel upgrade is only for getting the remote to work.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Quote:Right now it suspends but brings me right back to the main menu.
Not sure what you mean by back to main menu or if it is a problem.

Quote: Should I just perform the above steps for installing policykit or should I look into the grub instructions first?
What I believe is that as soon as you do apt-get upgrade it may break.

For clearity you can do
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If it stops working you know. The fix above should then put it right. If it still works you can hold of.

Actually I find these steps in my install logg for 911
Quote:-------------------------
initial setup
---------------------------
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

-----------------------------------------
Install Nvidia
------------------------------------------
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic nvidia-glx-190

sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate

The last step is of course only if you need/want new nvidia drivers. (nvidia-glx-190 could be replace with 195 or what ever version you want)

In what I think is my latest installation logg I actually don't do the policy-kit stuff, perhaps it is not always need depending on what else you do. (or I forgot to write it down)

EDIT: Then you will most likely have to fix the resume on remote issue. As far as I know you should not have to upgrade the kernel for this if you keep at 9.11.
BUT perhaps also 9.11 will be automatically upgraded to the problem kernal version.
That could then of course be avoided by not doing any upgrade.

What I would recommend is that you skip resume from remote until the next version of xbmc (dharma) is released and then you find i good guide. You will probably want to upgrade anyway.
Quote:Not sure what you mean by back to main menu or if it is a problem.

As soon as I click "suspend" from the power button on the main menu, the screen blanks, flashes 3 error messages too fast to read them and the system resumes back to the main menu.

I must have missed the apt-get updgrade step, because I went from
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
into
Code:

I started the upgrade command before leaving for work today, so I'll check again when I get home.
Ok, so things finished up while I was at work and tried running:

Code:

I got the same error, so I tried running

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

and it's downloading linux-image-2.6.31-22-generic now (painfully slow - ~ 1KB/s.... only 7 hrs left to go). Hopefully I'm on the right track...

On a side note, after you've swiched to a tty (ctrl + alt + F1), can you switch back to the xbmc gui?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Won't Shutdown / Suspend0