dual boot xbmc 9.11+win7
Hi, I am installing xbmc 9.11 these days, am following this guide http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/xbmc-ion/module/1, but I still wanna keep my win7 os, so the question is if is it possible to config grub as it is on ubuntu?? so I can have dual boot and change the order of the os and everything.

I have allready ubuntu installed, partitions created and all, so thas not a problem, I just wanted to have my pc to be as user friendly as it can with just the mini usb remote control when I take it somewhere elses house or borrow it as media center, but keep my win7 as I use it quite often for web browsing, working or downloading.

Thanks!

PD: if anyone can tell something about the xbmc 9.11, how it works, does it boot straight to the media center? you know, how much time since I turn on the pc to when media center is ready to rock...
Hi groggycl,
I am not much experienced with linux, but had a win7 installation on my pc.
I shrinked the 7 system partition and installed xbmc live on the newly created unpartitioned space.
The installation automatically created a grub entry which let me boot win7.
If I remember right I had to edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to change the name of the win7 boot entry, and it worked fine.

If you have any problems I can post the content of my grub.conf

I would also advice to clone your system disk before doing this, so you can revert to the original if you have any problems Nerd

HTH

Ciao!
Formentz
I was wrong with the grub file name, it is /boot/grub/menu.lst

the entry to boot win7 is:

title Windows 7 Ultimate
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

you may have to replace (hd0,0) with the right hard disk and partition id if the xbmc live installation didn't do it automatically

you may also want to change the default boot option, find the line:
default 0

and replace the zero with the number of the entry you want to be the default
thanks man, it worked, just had to replace hd0,0 to hd1,o as that was my drive.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dual boot xbmc 9.11+win70