• 13(current)
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?
It really seems XBMC is a lot more stable with some other skins, but it still freezes sometimes. Yesterday I just left it in some menu and after a couple of minutes it was frozen. Maybe some issue with dim/screensaver/?
BTW, there is a nice guide here how to compile kernel module and get MBO sensor readings:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/22242/how...t-hardware
Worked fine with my Asrock E350M1. Other option is to upgrade kernel, tried 2.6.38 (it has the required module) in a virtualbox live install together with catalyst 11.5 and fglrx modul built ok. Going to try it on my live install when I find some time.
Krautmaster Wrote:try

or

(with links to newer libva files of course Wink

Try Vainfo to check

Installing libva from GIT following your instructions worked fine - I could get libva built and installed. I ensured that /usr/lib/libva* are indeed the newly built libraries.

I got:

Code:
xbmc@htpc:~$ ls /usr/lib/libva*
/usr/lib/libva-egl.la         /usr/lib/libva-glx.so.1.0.13  /usr/lib/libva-tpi.so.1
/usr/lib/libva-egl.so         /usr/lib/libva.la             /usr/lib/libva-tpi.so.1.0.13
/usr/lib/libva-egl.so.1       /usr/lib/libva.so             /usr/lib/libva-x11.la
/usr/lib/libva-egl.so.1.0.13  /usr/lib/libva.so.1           /usr/lib/libva-x11.so
/usr/lib/libva-glx.la         /usr/lib/libva.so.1.0.13      /usr/lib/libva-x11.so.1
/usr/lib/libva-glx.so         /usr/lib/libva-tpi.la         /usr/lib/libva-x11.so.1.0.13
/usr/lib/libva-glx.so.1       /usr/lib/libva-tpi.so

and:

Code:
xbmc@htpc:~$ DISPLAY=:0.0 vainfo
libva: libva version 0.32.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD
xbmc@htpc:~$

Does the above look OK? Am I missing some link? (I shecked /usr/lib/drli/fglrx_drv_video.so and it links to an xvba file that seems AOK).

Anyways. When enabling VAAPI in xbmc's settings, and attempting to play a video, xbmc crashes.

Any idea of what part of all this I am doing wrong? This is with catalyst 11.5
I'm running into the same problems here.

Natty, with Ati 11.5 drivers and libva from this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/catalysthacks

and xvba from Splitted Desktop

However I can't find a good xbmc distribution.
I can't XBMC-PVR ppa since it breaks the xvba / liba packages from Splitted Desktop / catalysthacks because of some dependencies.

I haven't tried building xbmc from source though because of some problems with slow transfer through git. I'll try that next and have a lot of patience because of building on the E350 will be slow.

Open to suggestions?

Vainfo:
Quote:libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
As I stated earlier: I switched my ASUS E350 board for HP DM1 Fusion netbook.

The reason I did this, is that for my HTPC is still want a little extra power. I think this report is accurate on performance. So the E350 is still having little problems with fast scenes and high bitrate films (experienced myself).

Thanks to the upcomming E450, is still prefer AMD Fusion over core i3 or Llano since it is cheaper and more energy efficient. I believe it is worth to wait for this new processor:
- Slightly better CPU clock speeds (1.6 vs 1.65 Ghz CPU) and Turbo Core dynamic acceleration technology (which can boost the performance of one core by lowing down the other)
- Slightly better memory performance (1333 vs 1600 Mhz)
- Faster GPU (HD 6310 vs HD 6320) meaning GPU clock is better (492 Mhz vs 508/600MHz)

Now with this slight CPU and GPU speed improvements, the biggest pitfall with this IGP (memory bandwidth) will just be boosted enough to tackle GPU-bound scenario's like HTPC-usage. So I except this processor to be the first to play fast scenes with high bitrates under 20watt (and passively cooled) without problems.

But the E450 will not be shipped untill after Llano.... Advantage of this is that the mobo's will probably have hdmi1.4a and hopefully the legacy stuff (like vga, usb2) will be removed. At that time (end 2011) sata600 SSD will be a lot cheaper as well and better low-voltage memory (CAS 7) will be available.
hmm weird , i did not have any troubles with fast action scenes with my E350...

1st Htpc : LC-power LC1360MI case with MSI E350IA-E45 , 2x2gb patriot , 2tb samsung eco
2nd Htpc : same as above except ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
You can always find the limitations of the platform with higher bitrates.

it's not a deal breaker but for me it's too much on the edge for my future usage. The same reason I never bought ATOM. With a little driver development and a little cpu and gpu development, I believe the investment in E450 will satisfy my HTPC-needs for years to come (untill I step into 3d).

Current Brazos limitations:
- 1080p60 H.264
- FLAC + ASS subs
- Extensive (de)interlacing options / power
- 3D (Blu-ray)
- Fast (re) encoding

It is just that I am not in a hurry to spent money on a dedicated HTPC since I only will do that if I know for sure that it will satisfy my needs for a while. In the meanwhile I stick to my current setup...
i think if they can get the E350 running in linux , the system will use half the resources windows does !

1st Htpc : LC-power LC1360MI case with MSI E350IA-E45 , 2x2gb patriot , 2tb samsung eco
I also have a new HTPC, based on this platform, and everything runs very smooth with or without XBMC on win7 64bit, with high bitrate movies, like 1080p with 40GB, CPU between 25-35% with this high bitrate movies.

The only problem that i have is with youtube movies at 1080p, i can see them, but they are not completely smooth, anyone knows how to solve this?

Regarding the temperatures of CPU, MB and GPU, what temperatures i can consider that are "normal"?

In my case,
CPU:
Idle - 45/49ºC / Watching 1080p movies - 51/53ºC / Load - 55/60ºC

MB:
Idle - 33/34ºC / Watching 1080p movies 35-36ºC / Load - 37/40ºC

GPU
Idle - 50/55ºC / Watching 1080p movies 60-63ºC / Load - 65/72º

HDD
Idle - 28/30º / Watching 1080p movies 31-32ºC/ Load - 33/35º

Are these temperatures normal? I use Hwmonitor to see the temperatures, and this is the only one that shows the GPU temperature, at least i don't found another software to check the GPU temperatures.

My motherboard is the Asus E35M1-I DELUXE (passive), and my case is a mini-itx lc-power, this one, with two silent fans 40mm (11dBx2) fans blowing the air out of case. The case is installed in vertical position, and the fans are in the top of case.

Thanks
PL83 Wrote:I also have a new HTPC, based on this platform, and everything runs very smooth with or without XBMC on win7 64bit, with high bitrate movies, like 1080p with 40GB, CPU between 25-35% with this high bitrate movies.

The only problem that i have is with youtube movies at 1080p, i can see them, but they are not completely smooth, anyone knows how to solve this?

Regarding the temperatures of CPU, MB and GPU, what temperatures i can consider that are "normal"?

In my case,
CPU:

MB:

GPU

HDD

Are these temperatures normal? I use Hwmonitor to see the temperatures, and this is the only one that shows the GPU temperature, at least i don't found another software to check the GPU temperatures.

My motherboard is the Asus E35M1-I DELUXE (passive), and my case is a mini-itx lc-power, this one, with two silent fans 40mm (11dBx2) fans blowing the air out of case. The case is installed in vertical position, and the fans are in the top of case.

Thanks

temps by HW monitor other then the original from asus are not 100% correct ... in my case ( same mobo ) it was 10° higher with the software then it was in real time ...

i have the 1360MI from lc power with 60MM fan blowing fresh air in the case @ 40% ( 1800rpm ) and have 50-52° idle , 59-62 watching HD movie , 65-68 stressed

That temperatures are for CPU or GPU?

With the Asus software i cant see the temperature of the ATI GPU.
PL83 Wrote:The only problem that i have is with youtube movies at 1080p, i can see them, but they are not completely smooth, anyone knows how to solve this?

Should be supported in Win7/Flash 10.2. See: http://www.behardware.com/news/11313/fla...ation.html

Did you enable GPU-accelaration in your browser?

For Chrome:
1 - Type in the adress/search bar: about:flags
2 - Enable "GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D"
3 - Restart browser

Watch +60 fps flying.

Other browser you have to google..
Thanks, tonight i will check if the GPU-acceleration is enable, i also use chrome.
It really works Robotica, thanks for the tip Wink
PL83 Wrote:I also have a new HTPC, based on this platform, and everything runs very smooth with or without XBMC on win7 64bit, with high bitrate movies, like 1080p with 40GB, CPU between 25-35% with this high bitrate movies.

In my case,
CPU:

MB:

GPU

HDD

Thanks

90 degrees for the GPU, 60-65 for the CPU. Anything below is considered normal
nemek Wrote:xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part1.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part2.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part3.rar
xbmc-10.0-live-amd.part4.rar

Hey all.

I just want say a big thank to nemek for the great iso.

Just for info: the iso with nemek linked above is good, but all other version got bad hash (filesystem.squashfs file is bad)

in nemek iso I find some wrong (long) file name (thank peterk)

\pool\main\l\linux\pcmcia-storage-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.u
\pool\main\l\linux\firewire-core-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ud
\pool\main\l\linux\fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude
\pool\main\l\linux\fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-virtual-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude
\pool\main\l\linux\storage-core-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude
\pool\main\l\linux\storage-core-modules-2.6.35-22-virtual-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?2