[WIP] VoIP and XMPP script
eoin Wrote:Sorry I haven't updated this post in a bit, been busy.

Hey eoin - we're all keen to hear how you are getting on?

As you can see, we're all excited at the promise of XBMC video calling :-)

Heads up that Android phones might get Google Talk video conferencing in the near future too, and since it's already open and "hackable", we'll get to call mobiles from our living rooms! - cool!
http://gizmodo.com/5667128/gingerbread-a...alling-too
http://gizmodo.com/5676a008/hands-on-the...e=true&s=i
This sounds really cool. Subscribed! Smile
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Ok guys, this is the nice way!
Telepathy is the good framework to begin. In my mind I have a vision of the future: I can video-chat from sofa. Wink

.... ok .. this way... I propose to integrate a mini buddy list on the home screen, as well as for weather; select it and go to the full buddy list. On IM screen, the full buddy list, start a new audio-call or video-call in full screen and in a small box my image ( like iChat OSX style ). For incoming call/chat a mini popup can be show up, like update of a add-on. Text-chat is difficoult with a remote control ( if it isn't a keyboard ); personally I don't spend many time for the text-chat ... a basic integration may be sufficient.

Unfortunately I doesn't are a python developer.

what is your think about this ?
Alright guys here is a quick update.

The approach I have taken is to first get a small python program to work on ubuntu that will use a combination of telepathy-python, mission-control and telepathy-gabble to connect to gchat and send messages, update presences etc. This will allow me to become familiar with telepathy and potentially it could become the basis of a XBMC script.

The program which I initially thought would be quite easy to write has been a bit of a time sink. The reason for this is a combination of minimal documentation for telepathy-python, some silly mistakes on my part and time spend learning how dbus and telepathy work.

In summary i've got nothing to show yet but just wanted to let you guys know that I am working on the project and making progress however small.
eoin Wrote:just wanted to let you guys know that I am working on the project and making progress however small.

Thanks! Appreciate the effort you're putting in. Call on everyone here for help if there's anything we can do.
Thumbs Up 
I have been waiting for something like this for over a year now. I think your plan sounds solid, so keep up the good work!

Subscribed.
Integrating with XBMC through the JSON-RPC interface?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

eoin Wrote:time spend learning how dbus and telepathy work.
FYI - in case you haven't seen it:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=D-Bus_Server
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6076
@eion - how are things progressing?

Don't hesitate to ask the forum for ideas / help / testing...
any update or is this dead
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Quote:learning how dbus and telepathy work.

xbmc python does not support dbus and I have not been able to add it, possibly due to its binary bindings.
Either this has to be sorted out or perhaps it is possible to to have xbmc forward the calls if such an API is open to python.
I have given up on trying to get VoIP working using python scripts . I am currently experimenting with AuidioEngine by compiling it outside of XBMC, using the necessary libraries, and trying to understand what limitations are and if it is possible to add microphone support.

I also intend to explore whats possible with the dbus implementation in XBMC but I have not started yet.

Any advice or guidance welcome, I am going to make a more detailed post asking for advice on using AudioEngine shortly.

I am still hopeful that I can get VoIP working using the telepathy framework.

Eoin
Any updates ?
Your interim report was due on Friday 11th of February.
Smile
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
any update on this?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Anything? Im sure this has already been posted...
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Anything? Im sure this has already been posted...

Thats neat and all but it would need to be pygoogletalk. Although being able to listen to voicemail, make calls and send and receive sms might be a neat from XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] VoIP and XMPP script1