[LIVE] Update XBMC Only
As the most problems with the latest live dharma releases seem to be related to the underlying kernel (sound, remote, resuming, etc), I'd like to upgrade the latest stable 9.11 repack with the latest XBMC beta only (NO kernel updates!). Also maybe update the nVidia drivers too.

I'v read the "How to update XBMCLive to SVN PPA's and Bleeding Edge" thread, but it seems confusing and outdated. Could someone show the exact repositories/commmand to use to achieve that.

In order to use the Addon system, I need to upgrade. Better to do it on a system known to work.
It depends on what kernel your running on. I believe the older live is based on jaunty.
https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa
Read the install instructions for pre karmic, ita pretty much step by step
Once you add you:
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc

However upgrade so many reversions is likely to have issues relates to stability. In which case most people would recommend doing a install rather then an upgrade. On this case you would have to reconfigure your setup
Sudo apt-get install xbmc

However the latest version of live dharma beta 2 has been more stable and reliable for me then older build so I would highly recommend just using that. Far more simple

Drew
Thank for your input Drew.

Unfortunately, in my case I found an fresh Dharma(2) install just gave me more troubles like:
  • No wakeup from remote
  • Erractic behaviour when trying to close, exit, reboot, sleep XBMC
  • Inconsisted configuration with Alsa for sound through HDMI
  • ALWAYS muted sound on HDMI after a cold boot (not able to save when unmuted)
  • and other (minor) problems

I have had none of these problems on 9.11 (Karmic) and it seems these problems are kernel related. I'm trying to distinguish if problems arise due to XBMC itself or the new kernel and/or drivers.

I'm guessing XBMC svn33778 will run on Karmic or is it depended on Lucid?
Try this link to update xbmc only on xbmc-live 9.11.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=592622&postcount=4

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Ok, Thanx that also works!

Anyway my preliminary findings:
  • Sound/Mute issues are definitely related due to kernel/alsa. Sound over all output works fine using Karmic/XBMC latest SVN
  • problems with exit(no terminal)/reboot/sleep/shutdown seems to be XBMC related.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Update XBMC Only0