Dharma Live Installer Doens't See SATA Disk
Wel I have and it still is a bugger... Better try the Beta as well...
Its a lucid bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/567557

idk how to get logs to get these guys to change the status, and ever since never bothered trying new lucid mini installs.
X3,

Thanks for the reply. I did read the link you send but i unfortunatelly am not much of an expert there. Though more then willing to help!

Did some findings on my own before i saw you message and discovered that in fact the existing partitions are not part of the problem. I did get some results as I swapped the 500 Gb Seagate Barracuda disk for a 80 Gb Maxtor disk.

These last tests where performed using the Beta 3 Dharma release.

If there is anything I can do in order the shed some light on the problem I'm happy to be of assistance. But i'm not a Linux user, so you'd have to guide me. (Just treat me like an dummy *grins*).

I was hoping to put my system together this weekend bu I fear it'll take a bit longer. I might be able to get my hands on a variety of disks monday as i believe there is a pile of them lying around at the office. Will post the results on this as well.

Regards,
Maurits
And for the sake of keeping the story complete:

I've used two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500Gbytes drives ST3500630AS at 3Gb/s which did not work. The partitioner could not see them but fdisk could.

Then I tried my old Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80Gbytes drive 6L080M0 SATA 150 which the partitioner did see. I did not try whether the system can actually install on this disk. Will try that and see if I can over the weekend.
Ok so here's the update... I've hooked up the 80Gb disk and ran the installer. The system installed without any problems. So the problem lies in the disks used, perhaps disk size?
One other thing i tried is to set the Seagate disks to 1.5Gb/s using it's jumper configuration. This did not matter.
Hi there... Another update on the situation.

Today I went ahead and started testing the installation with a variety of disks. Unfortunately none of them would work for the installer. The partitioner simply does not see them.

Now these disk were all 250Gb or above, but for the record i'll make a list below:

Hitachi Deskstar 250Gb HDT722525DLA380
Western Digital Caviar 500Gb SE16 WD5000AAKS
Western Digital Caviar 500Gb RE2 WD5000YS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000Gb ST31000340AS

I don't believe any of the above matters in the situation, but it's just for informational purposes.

I did get my system working. I just hung both my 80Gb and my 500Gb disks into another system and made a disk to disk copy. Afterwards I resized the partitions and voila....

So you can get around... It's just plain stupid the darn partitioner does not see the larger disks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma Live Installer Doens't See SATA Disk0