fanart inconsistencies with add-ons
I am having problems with displaying fanart in library mode. I am using confluence. I am not sure if it is limited to this skin or is common.

I have tried a couple methods to set fanart.

item.setProperty('fanart_image',fanart)
this works great for setting the fanart image for an item but it only shows up in file mode and not library. I want to run the plugin in library mode because it has the media views available but I also want the fanart and it just doesn't show.

xbmcplugin.setPluginFanart()
I have also tried this but I can't seem to figure out what it does. sometimes it works but is inconsistent and you can't have different fanart for for different items. This will sometimes work in library mode depending on what I set content.

Could someone clarify the correct usage to get consistent behavior across file and library mode. I just want to do it correctly and am confused to what is correct.

Also in library mode none of the add-ons fanart.jpgs show up but in file mode they do. If it is a skinning issue for the confluence skin does that go on the trac or on the skin support forum?
The first is what you should be using. If the fanart image isn't showing up, then it *might* be a skin issue.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Was this ever figured out? I am trying to accomplish the same thing with the following code

Code:
print str(art)
        print '================'
        u=sys.argv[0]+"?url="+str(url)+"&mode="+str(mode)+"&name="+urllib.quote_plus(name)
        ok=True
        liz=xbmcgui.ListItem(name, iconImage="DefaultFolder.png", thumbnailImage=iconimage)
        liz.setProperty('fanart_image',str(art))

I've tried with multiple skins in library and file mode with no success. The art url is definitely valid. The debug log also has info about loading the thumb, but nothing about loading the fanart_image.
Up - I also can;t get this to work. I've set fanart the same way:

setproperty('fanart_image',str(fanart_image))

but it doesn't get displayed. The file is valid and the argument being fed into setpropert is valid. There are no error messages and I cannot see the file being accessed (it's over http, so I can check access logs).

I've had a look at the skin files (confluence) and can see a corresponding entry in viewsvideolibrary.xml

Code:
<texture background="true" fallback="Fanart_Fallback_Small.jpg">$INFO[ListItem.Property(fanart_image)]</texture>

Is this a skin error? or something a xbmcgui issue
Maybe because of this?
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8228
Hmm, It's not on root pages, but pages with content set to video/movies..
I made it works but for the very few skins I tried, only PMIII shows my fanarts :
For a fanart on a "folder" item in plugin :
'iconimage' should have been used but not used yet
'name' is the title I write for the item
'fanart' is the full path to the image to use as fanart
Code:
liz=xbmcgui.ListItem(name, thumbnailImage=iconimage)
        if fanart:
            liz.setProperty( "Fanart_Image", fanart )

For a picture (I use the picture itself in my picture addon to display as fanart) :
Code:
liz=xbmcgui.ListItem(picname,"*")
infolabels = { "picturepath":picname,"title": "title of the pic", "date": date  }
liz.setInfo( type="pictures", infoLabels=infolabels )
liz.setLabel(picname)
liz.addContextMenuItems(contextmenu,replacemenu)
if fanart:
      liz.setProperty( "Fanart_Image", fanart )

When I noticed not every skins shows the fanart, I thought it was just not handled by the skin...
I've been through all the skins and not a single one is showing any fan art for plugins.

I've confirmed that the URL i'm using points to a valid image, and I can see it being set - but nothing seems to be reading it. I've checked the server logs and no request for the image is being made - so something is amiss..

Is it a problem with requesting fanart via a URL, seeing as XBMC scraped fanart works fine?
If you're setting content to movies, shows, etc. then setting the fanart_image property should be all you need do, as most skins show fanart in those views.

If you can give me an addon that doesn't work with Confluence then I'm happy to take a look.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thanks - here is a test plugin that I've put together to show the issue:

https://github.com/downloads/hippojay/pl...rttest.zip

This plugin will display two entries only and pull thumbs and fanart from TmDB.
* One entry gets fanart from a URL, thumb from a URL
* One entry get fanart from a local file, thumb from a URL

I can't get this to work in confluence..
Done some more on this - it seems that I can get it to work, but it's inconsistent (as per the thread title Wink )

I can get fanart to show using my test addon - but not all the time. It seems that some locations don't work.

I've hacked up confluence to display the fanart_image url in use and I can see that it's been correct set, but the fanart doesn't download... It would seem to be something in code that the skin uses to get images?

EDIT: I give up. I've no idea what is happening here, as I can seem to gather fanart from other sources, but not from the plex media server. fanart comes up fine in a browser, and I can see that the right value is passed to the skin - but no art is displayed in XBMC.

Interestingly enough, thumbs are fine from Plex; but if I swap thumbs and fanart - then the fanart is downloaded (and displayed as the thumbnail) - but the thumbnail isn't displayed as the fanart.. That would suggest that the way fanart is processed within XBMC (or skin engine) is different from thumbs...
IIRC there's a ticket on trac about fanart working and thumbs not from similar URLs, so it may well be related. Might be worth trying to track that one down.

I'll be testing your addon out as soon as I've gotten the rest of the things on my TODO list done Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

Ok, tested using git HEAD currently. In confluence both fanart images show up (the URL one takes a second or two first time as it's cached, ofcourse) and similarly both thumbs show up in every view available.

This is viewing via the "Video Addons" node in the library (which is the only way to get to them under HEAD anyway as files mode is gone).

It might be worth grabbing a nightly and giving it a go?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Grabbed a nightly, but it made no difference.

With debug on I can see that the thumbs are downloaded no problem.
Then when I step through I can see the fanart downloaded, but there are no messages when I get to problem fanart.

For example. If I define 'http://192.168.1.200:32400/library/metadata/141/art' as a 'thumb', it downloads fine

Code:
00:14:47 T:4644 M:1142210560    INFO: Caching image from: http://192.168.1.200:32400/library/metadata/141/art to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/d/d80bbf26.tbn with width 512 and height 512
00:14:47 T:4644 M:1142210560   DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(07CAF3A4) http://192.168.1.200:32400/library/metadata/141/art
00:14:47 T:4644 M:1142210560   DEBUG: FileCurl::Close(07CAF3A4) http://192.168.1.200:32400/library/metadata/141/art
However, if I defined the URL as 'fanart_image', it doesn't.

EDIT: Just to add that these are different images to the ones in the test addon - these are being sourced from Plex Media Server..
How old was the nightly? You may need one newer than the 9th of March - that was when the file_in_lib branch was merged in.

We're currently working on the buildbot to get osx builds back up and running - might be a couple of days away depending on how much time folk have.

EDIT: I wonder if it's because we can't determine type from the URL. Did you try with the test_fanart plugin?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fanart inconsistencies with add-ons0