XBMC Live. How do I bring up a terminal?
I'm using Dharma Beta 2 XBMC Live installed to hard drive. My system is an Asus Ion 330 with a SATA hard drive.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't switch to terminal on my system. (Therefore I can't look at logs etc.)

I haven't set up networking before installing so can't ssh into this either. (I was hoping to be able to set up wireless after install Live to hard drive.)
You can also try Ctrl+Alt+<F2-F6>
that's another old idea of mine, an add-on that opens a terminal window, ideally including an on-screen keyboard, would be really helpful for all the live installations out there
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
you gonna do one then?
well, as I said, I have the ideas but absolutely no clue about scripting Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
ctrl+alt+(f2..f6) don't work either. (I tried this already.) thanks though.

My original intention was to
* install XBMC Live
* install remaining Gnome and Linux components that I need to configure the system to my liking (a UI for WiFi config would be nice for example.)

Now, I think I might try going the other way
* install a minimal ubuntu
* http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155961
* then, install XBMC from the PPA

I believe this might give me a more customizable XBMC...
I had the exact same problem, just hold down shift while booting to enter the grub menu, and select "safe mode". From there, you can login to your user, install openssh-server, and easily configure everything from that.

I almost gave up and went with the minimal install, but figuring out the quirks to the live-cd was worth it. Smile
What's the resolution of the display you're trying to use? When you get to the grub screen when it's booting, in the GFX line, delete everything except your resolution e.g. 1280x720:32 in my case, then hit Ctrl+x to continue booting. This should allow you to get to a terminal screen where you need to edit the Live grub config to match what you did for the one-shot boot. I forget the exact path, it's something similar to /Live/image/boot/grub.
Live doesn't have ssh listening by default?
gsgleason Wrote:Live doesn't have ssh listening by default?

it does.
I didn't set up my network as DHCP when installing. Looks like simply plugging in ethernet after install doesn't automatically enable DHCP networking.
FYI, I tried this again today. There's two items of note

1. My PC does not have a CDROM drive
  2. Using unetbootin or Ubuntu's startup disk creator does not create a correct bootable USB key.
    • A unetbootin created USB key does not boot because it asks for CDROM drivers
    • Looks like Grub is not configured correctly in this case?

So,
  1. I created a bootable disk using
  2. Installed to HDD
  3. I setup network as DHCP at install time
  4. After install XBMC starts fine and boots to the XBMC screen and UI works fine

Problems
  1. No networking
    • Even though I setup DHCP at install (and it reported success) when I plug it into the ethernet cable in my HTPC cabinet network IP is not obtained
    • Tested that the ethernet works with the same cable with another computer
  2. Error messages flash by at boot time
  3. No text console (ctrl-alt-f1 ... f6 results in black screen

Therefore
  • I can't ssh in (no network)
  • I can't get to console (problem with grub console setup)
  • I can't edit grub config
    • Unless I boot with my rescue USB key and edit grub config.

FYI, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx works fine : grub/console text is shown, network is setup correctly, etc.

Looks like the instructions I used to create the bootable disk are not working for me. Or, the XBMC Live CD is not configured correctly. At this point I don't know which. I can look at this again, next week.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live. How do I bring up a terminal?0