PGS subtitles in MKVs stays on too long
I've ripped all my blu-ray movies using MakeMKV and I've come across a problem. All the PGS subtitles stays on the screen for too long. Each entry in the PGS stays on the screen until the next entry is shown. I've tried both Atlantis LiveCD and both Beta 1 & 2 of Dharma. Is this a XBMC issue or is this ffmpeg related. I tried search on the ffmpeg forum but I couldn't find anything. I've also tried the daily PPAs with the same result. I'm running on a ASRock ION-330 with VDPAU.
Am I the only having these problems? Can someone point me in a direction on how to fix this. Next step for me will be to dive into the ffmpeg source code and look at the pgs decoder, but I was hoping that someone already had a simple solution to this Rolleyes

Anyone?
From what I gather this was an issue in ffmpeg but they have fixed it, now that fix just needs to get moved into the newer versions of XBMC. I have been using the DSplayer version of XBMC and they subs have been working fine in that.
Thanx!

If it's fixed already in ffmpeg, then maybe a dev here could merge in the fix from ffmpeg.
Anyone?
Am I the only one interested in this?
I know mkv a bit because my new addon ;-)

http://code.google.com/p/swiss-army-knife/

I saw this behavior with the subtitles too .-)
If you have a long scene wihtout speaking .... it does disturb a bit ....
but for most movies I do not use subtitles ....

I guess dharma has a feature freeze and for this reason we have to wait for 11.0
I convert all my pgs to dvd subtitles, they seem to work just as good so far, and you have the option of burning them in with handbrake. It is a lot of extra steps though.
Yes, it's alot of extra steps. That's the thing I like about MakeMKV.
It's a one click solution that works. However, this is a bug in dharma!
I don't see that this has anything to do with the feature freeze deadline.
There is a patch for ffmpeg that takes care of this. It works and we hope to include it for Dharma.

^^ elupus
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Eicar Wrote:Am I the only one interested in this?

Hallo,

no, you are not alone. I saw this last time as well. It is really bad when you are using forced subtitles. Because they are not faded out and stay on screen.....

Looking forward for a fix for that in next version..... Nod
This is very good news indeed! I really hope that this will
make it into dharma. Big Grin
CrystalP Wrote:There is a patch for ffmpeg that takes care of this. It works and we hope to include it for Dharma.

^^ elupus

Awesome! Thanks for the response Smile
CrystalP Wrote:There is a patch for ffmpeg that takes care of this. It works and we hope to include it for Dharma.

^^ elupus

I am using Dharma Beta 2 and till now this is the only thing bothering me. Is it possible to patch this on our own? Or fix this anyhow, maybe an add-on?

Can anybody help on this matter, pleaseHuhHuh
Sure, this is the patch, straight from the ffmpeg mailing list: http://xbmc.pastebin.com/bvLM9ci2

It doesn't apply 100% clean on xbmc's copy of ffmpeg (in xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codes/ffmpeg), but that's cosmetic and easily resolved.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Oh but I'm sure it'll appear in the svn builds in mere days! nay, hours! Minutes even... in fact, why, even as we speak...

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

No? Sad
Wink
In slightly more serious vein, it is something I'm much looking forward to. I rip my blurays using handbrake just because I was born in the 20th century and 25GB/movie still seems extravagant on a hard drive (and also because - until recently - VC1 bluray rips wouldn't play well on my hardware; fixed now they also use vdpau).

But the dispiriting exercise of trying to find a good enough .srt out on the web somewhere, and having to fix the typos and the timing offsets for the best one you *can* find - can just melt away. Not just Elvish and Na'vi; but such exotic languages as Spanish too - having to fix the subs spoiled the ending of Pan's Labyrinth before I got to watch it.

Am quite happy to just use mergemkv to bring the pgs subs into the handbrake-made mkv afterwards... and am resigned to going back and doing so for a bunch of movies once this patch does go in. :-}

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PGS subtitles in MKVs stays on too long0