External player
Hi guys I've only recently started using this fantastic software and the only thing thats bugging me is that the internal player seems to be pretty poor especially when playing HD content...

I'm trying to find out how I can launch an external player like Zoomplayer when I click on a film.
I've seen its possible to do but do I have to go in and physically change code or is there an easier way to do this.

Thanks
Search the wiki for 'external player'. Instructions are there.
You don't say which version of XBMC you're using and what operating system. If it's v9.11 and Windows then it doesn't support hardware acceleration and will struggle to play 1080p video on lowly processors. The next version, Dharma, does support hardware acceleration on Windows Vista and 7 (not XP). Try the beta 2 from mirrors.xbmc.org and see if that's better.

If you really want to use an external player then the info is at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_playback though this is quite a detailed article and not terribly easy for the beginner.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:You don't say which version of XBMC you're using and what operating system. If it's v9.11 and Windows then it doesn't support hardware acceleration and will struggle to play 1080p video on lowly processors. The next version, Dharma, does support hardware acceleration on Windows Vista and 7 (not XP). Try the beta 2 from mirrors.xbmc.org and see if that's better.

If you really want to use an external player then the info is at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_playback though this is quite a detailed article and not terribly easy for the beginner.

JR

Im currently running windows 7 64bit, I have installed Dharma.
I'm trying to create the xml file but I've not delved into this side of things before so finding it pretty complicated although getting their slowly. I have so far managed to edit the xml file but for some reason it doesnt seem to be opening with the player I want.

Thats as far as I have got with the xml but can you see the reason why it wont open the external player.

cheers

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <playercorefactory>
- <players>
- <player name="ZoomPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\ZoomPlayer\zplayer.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
- <rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*720p.*" player="ZPlayer" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

I'd be happy to pay someone to creat me an xml file that I can use to play different file types eg. winamp for music and zoom player for films.
Ok I managed to get that to work but how do I go about being able to use winamp for mp3's and zoomplayer for all other files?

thanks
imamosher Wrote:Ok I managed to get that to work but how do I go about being able to use winamp for mp3's and zoomplayer for all other files?

thanks

You just add another <player> and another <rule> e.g.:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="ZoomPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\ZoomPlayer\zplayer.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
    </player>

<player name="WinAmp" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\WinAmp\winamp.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}"</args>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*720p.*" player="ZPlayer" />
    <rule filetypes="mp3" player="WinAmp" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

NB I guessed the executable for WinAmp as I don't have it installed. You'll probably have to correct the above code.

You can create as many different players as you want, and add whatever rules you want to determine how/when those players are use.

Why do you want to use WinAmp for mp3s? What's wrong with XBMC's playing of mp3s?

JR
[/quote]Why do you want to use WinAmp for mp3s? What's wrong with XBMC's playing of mp3s?

JR[/quote]

Hi, thanks very much for explaining that...I thought i might have to creat a whole new script not realising you just need to edit the original.

I was going to use XBMC for music but I have a large music collection that is about 26000+ songs and XBMC has a very strange way of categorising them putting songs that are clearly one genre into another.

I hav'nt tried to use the built in XBMC music player but I've only ever been happy with the sound winamp outputs.

I probably wont even use XBMC for music now because it has a poor job of categorising the genre's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External player0