XBMC Live, VDR, FREESAT, ACER REVO R3610
OK wasn't quite sure where to put this message but decided the linux support forum was best.

OK i currently have a foxsat freesat box but am now looking to integrate freesat into XBMC,

Has anyone done this on an Acer Revo R3610 ? What USB hardware would be best suited to get the stream from the dish into the revo and whats the setup procedure to get all this working perfectly on an XBMC Live dharma beta 1 ?

I'm hoping for an onscreen EPG and the option to record programs.

Any help or direction to articles appreciated.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
Hi,

For LiveTV via VDR in XBMC you currently need to use the experimental development branch pvr-testing2. I use a Acer Revo 3600. Check the yaVDR project, the distro and the packages. It has everything you need pre-packaged. freesat epg is provided by vdr-plugin-eepg. For drivers for currently available DVB-S2-USB-Devices you will most likely need the s2-liplianin-dkms package.

Cheers,
hepi
yaVDR: HDTV and XBMC in your living room - based on Nvidia VDPAU, VDR and Ubuntu Linux
Thanks for the quick reply.

OK a couple of questions that i'm confused about

1. Will any DVB-S2-USB-Device suffice or are there better supported ones ? Which would you say is the best ?
2. I see on my xbmclive dharma beta 1 that tvheadend is already running a server daemon. Do i still need to go down the yaVDR project option to get live tv and tv recordings within xbmc ?
3. Whats the default username / password for tvheadend on xbmclive dharma beta 1 ? http://localhost:9981 brings up a password, username box.

Sorry but this has me completely baffled.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
I'm not an expert on XBMC Live. Does it also ship with a tvheadend backend server? Sorry, can't answer here.

Recommending hardware is not an easy task. Many USB-DVB-S2 devices don't have driver support within the Linux kernel and many have problems when used behind Disecq switches (at least on Linux). I personally am quite satisfied with Technotrend TT-Connect S2-3600 (depends on s2-liplianin for drivers) which is also sold at a reasonable price in Germany ATM (50 €Wink. Others may prefer other hardware.

There is no "Buy this and you have no worries" solution.

You can install yaVDR in a VirtualBox and test it. It doesn't take long to install it.

Cheers,
hepi

EDIT: The remote controls which come with the DVB-Hardware are most likely to end up in the box. In most cases you will not want to use them.
yaVDR: HDTV and XBMC in your living room - based on Nvidia VDPAU, VDR and Ubuntu Linux
Yes it seems tvheadend is running, as standard, on the new beta xbmclives.

ps -x

1138 ? Ssl 0:00 /usr/bin/tvheadend -f -u xbmc -g video

But i can't login to it using

http://localhost:9981

as its asking for a username and password (tried the obvious xbmc but not having any of it).

Its the compatibility to linux that has me wondering which DVB usb device to buy that has the best support really. Remotes arn't an issue as i will use my windows mce remote in xbmc.
-= My Media Centre =-
Try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure hts-tvheadend

It should ask you to make a user and password.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Hepi is obviously helping but here's a few threads that might be useful....

How To For VDR & pvr testing
How To For VDR & pvr testing with ubuntu minimal Lucid
How To For TVHeadend & pvr testing

Linux TV Hardware compatibility wiki (not exhaustive)
Thanks guys and i really appreciate the help.

Had a bit of a chance to read up a little but still not certain how all this intergrates in xbmc live dharma.

Heres my take on things (please jump in and let me know if i'm going wrong).

I buy a linux compatible usb DVB-S2 Device (doesn't seem to be any info on that compatibility wilki about those), hook up the revo and sat cable to that.

Being from the UK i run

/usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --configure

And go through the step by step (to add my freesat channels).

I then run the tvheadend web interface and continue configuring (Telling it what DVB-S2 Device device i have etc)

http://localhost:9981

So back to two questions

1. How does this intergrate into XBMC with the EPG etc ? What do i enable, is it something through adding sources ?
2. Whats the best compatible DVB-S2 Device for linux for UK freesat ?
-= My Media Centre =-
harryzimm Wrote:Try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure hts-tvheadend

It should ask you to make a user and password.

cheers

Thanks mate, that worked a treat.
-= My Media Centre =-
@danz0l: At the beginning of the thread you were asking for information regarding VDR, but you seem to be more interested in tvheadend. I guess you are not aware that VDR and tvheadend are two different/concurrent solutions and that you can only use one of it at a time on one box.

Cheers,
hepi
I think maybe i have things all mixed up, i assumed VDR was for Video Disk Recording which to me i understood as recording tv to harddrive. My Terminology understanding has obviously been incorrect there Sad I've changed the title to better reflect what information i'm after. Sorry very new to this Smile

Thanks again for your help hepi

Basically what i'm wanting to do is use the revo to watch live tv from my freesat dish and have the ability to record, all through the xbmc interface using dharma.

tvheadend and xmltv are both already pre-installed on xbmclive dharma beta 1 and tvheadend is running. What i'm trying to do now is what hardware i best buy to get this to work and how this then runs in xbmc with an EPG
-= My Media Centre =-
Well, AFAIK only the experimental pvr-testing2 version of XBMC offers you the integration you want. I guess that XBMC Live "only" allows you to stream live TV from TVHeadend to XBMC. The Dharma branch of XBMC doesn't contain any PVR frontend code + no PVR clients as far as I can see.

Cheers,
hepi
oh thats weird that they should include tvheadend on the live distro and have it running at the very start Sad
-= My Media Centre =-
It works OK in the XBMCFreak tweaked version of the LiveCD for live TV - you just add the htsp:// stream as a source, and it lists up the available channels for you.

The PVR & EPG functions are left to the web-based TVHeadend back end.

Bit of a halfway house measure between Dharma and the PVR-testing development branch of XBMC.
Thanks kurai. Couple of questions.

1. does the EPG display in XBMC that way and if so do you have full control on recording etc ?
2. what hardware are you using to get the stream and was it easy to install in linux.
3. How do you know what the url is for the htsp stream ?
-= My Media Centre =-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live, VDR, FREESAT, ACER REVO R36100