Apple TV with Ebay Crystal HD
so, i bought a crystal HD off ebay about five months ago to follow all the crystal updates for apple tv. things have progressed nicely! i know we are very close to finishing Dharma up, but i have some issues with my crystal HD.

1) i have hundreds of 720p and 1080p .mkv bluray rips as my main collection. i cannot get them to play perfectly smooth yet. for example: i have a 13gb copy of a movie that plays perfectly smooth for about 5-10 minutes and then stutters badly for about 5 seconds and then catches up with itself. it then plays smoothly again for another 5-10 minutes and repeats the process. i have tried streaming the file over ethernet via SMB connection as well as putting it on a hard drive and running it straight through the apple tv (wanted to make sure it wasn't a network issue) and the same thing happens. my big question is: does anyone have an appletv crystal HD setup that chews through 1080p content flawlessly?
2) is there any way to figure out what version of crystal HD card i have? would it matter?
Are you running OSx or the CrystalUbuntu build?

From what I have read in other posts, the Ubuntu build has less overhead on the limited ATV hardware, allowing it to do better at handling 1080p. Even using that though, the 1080p is still straining the ATV resources.

Where are the .mkv files stored? How are they being accessed on the ATV?

That can make a difference as well.
I have ATV with Crystal HD off eBay (012) and I've seen the effect you described but after upgrading the CrystalHD driver (by Davilla) to the latest version (r156) it seems to disappear. I can not tell 100% because I just did not test all the HD movies but the few of them that consistently showed similar effect before now play smoothly.

Regarding the CrystalHD version it seems there are only two of them: 012 and 015. Since you bought yours 5 month ago it's most likely you have 012 which I guess does not make much difference since ATV/OSX driver by Davilla (according to the forum) does not support advanced features of the 015 version anyways. However the Linux driver once again based on the forum does support 015 fully which is better performance-wise for 1080 movies. 720 movies should play similarly on either of them on both ATV OS and Linux.
I had a similar problem and upgraded to a more recent svn release and the problem went away. This happened on SD as well as HD. If you want to try this look at:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67078
swimfan Wrote:1) i have hundreds of 720p and 1080p .mkv bluray rips as my main collection. i cannot get them to play perfectly smooth yet. for example: i have a 13gb copy of a movie that plays perfectly smooth for about 5-10 minutes and then stutters badly for about 5 seconds and then catches up with itself. it then plays smoothly again for another 5-10 minutes and repeats the process. i have tried streaming the file over ethernet via SMB connection as well as putting it on a hard drive and running it straight through the apple tv (wanted to make sure it wasn't a network issue) and the same thing happens. my big question is: does anyone have an appletv crystal HD setup that chews through 1080p content flawlessly?

I'm having the same issue with a card I purchased off ebay last year. I'm using R156 and XBMC Dharma.
"Me toos" don't count. If you are having an issue, start a thread post, include

a) mediainfo output
b) dmesg
c) xbmc.log
d) a complete description of the issue.

Oh wait, that's what http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=509657&postcount=1 asks for. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV with Ebay Crystal HD0