Another noob wants his hardware reviewed
Hi fellows,

I've been lurking around here for a while and I think I am ready to build myself a dedicated HTPC. I plan on using XBMC Live, running on this hardware:

ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard
AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz Socket AM3
SPARKLE SXG210512S3L-NM GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR3
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066

and probably that tuner:
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

I'll probably throw in a BluRay drive, even though BD doesn't work with Live (yet)

I'll put it all in this case
nMEDIAPC HTPC 8000 (because it's awesome!!)

Is the CPU good enough for 1080p, or should I go for dual core? Enough RAM?
Is the videocard overkill? Should I go with an onboard one?
Am I missing/overseeing something?

What do you guys think?
nMEDIAPC HTPC 8000 ?? WTF? I think all goes good, but that case? r u serious?

I found ur speakers:

no seriosly, good peripherical thing, but, that case it´s funny...
Plataform: AMD FX-8120 | ATI Radeon HD7800 | 16Gb Corsair
| 500Gb Samsung + 320Gb + 1,5Tb | Windows 7 Professional 64Bits | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium| Creative Inspire T6160 5.1
| XBMC mit Night | Philips 220SW + AOC M2752V:sniffle:
Overall, good build.

traflaz Wrote:Is the CPU good enough for 1080p, or should I go for dual core? Enough RAM?

CPU is plenty good enough, only reason for more is if this box is gonna do more than what you have laid out (aka download torrents in the background or something).

2GB RAM is plenty.

Quote:Is the videocard overkill?

Honestly I don't think that card is enough (the onboard isn't even an option). If you want to watch live HD TV then you need to mess with de-interlacing and the gt210 is too weak for that. For full de-interlacing support you need a gt220 or better (gt240s sometimes are often cheaper than gt220s for some reason).

Quote:Am I missing/overseeing something?

You haven't mentioned where the media is stored. I'm assuming you have a NAS. If that is the case, consider a SSD for the OS drive.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Overall, good build.
Honestly I don't think that card is enough (the onboard isn't even an option). If you want to watch live HD TV then you need to mess with de-interlacing and the gt210 is too weak for that. For full de-interlacing support you need a gt220 or better (gt240s sometimes are often cheaper than gt220s for some reason).

Good to know. I think I'll go with this card instead (which will be cheaper if I get the mail-in rebate)

Quote:You haven't mentioned where the media is stored. I'm assuming you have a NAS. If that is the case, consider a SSD for the OS drive.

Yeah, I have a small NAS, running FreeNAS. I might upgrade to a SSD for this setup eventually, but for now I'll just use one of the multiple drives that are lying around the house.

Thanks for your inputs!!

emal011 Wrote:I found ur speakers:

Wow those speakers are awesome!!
shut up emal, that case is pure steampunk awesomeness! I need that fucking case right now! Big Grin

when you install it, please tell us if/how you got the LCD working with XBMC live.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another noob wants his hardware reviewed0