XMBC Freezes after S3 resuma, after browsing video's from the network.
I've having this problem quite some time now, and it doesn't seem to get fixed. I've tried the nightly builds, but still no fix for this. It is very easy to reproduce for me. I am running on the live version and installed it to my asrock ion. In XBMC, I've added some sources to a PC in the windows network, by just using the "add source" button, and choosing that pc. (So no automount, or autofs stuff).

I now browse my video's, and go to my windows PC, e.g. the e$ admin share. I can view files etc. without any problems. Now I set my ion to s3 standby mode. When I resume my machine later on. It just freezes after about one or two minutes. I have enabled debugging, and the following lines are always the last lines:

19:28:49 T:2842008432 M:1643245568 DEBUG: Thread 2842008432 terminating (autodelete)
19:28:49 T:3079235472 M:1643257856 DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDelayed(DLL: special://xbmcbin/system/ImageLib-i486-linux.so)
19:28:49 T:3079235472 M:1643257856 DEBUG: Unloading: ImageLib-i486-linux.so
19:28:49 T:3079235472 M:1643257856 INFO: CheckIdle - Closing session to http://xoap.weather.com (easy=0xb59aaf8, multi=0xac68cc8)
19:28:50 T:3079235472 M:1643257856 NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections

After this line, XBMC is unresponsive, but the box is still working OK. I can go to the console via ctrl+alt+f1 and even restart xbmc, by killing the process. It then works as before.

If I wait a very long time (like 15 minutes) XBMC unfreezes, and starts being responsive again. If I resume from s3, when I did not access any network share, no problem occurs.

So the question is. How can I fix this problem? And what is wrong with XBMC?
got a similar issue with s3 (ion board / lucid). after s3 resume and using the network (ssh, shares) box gets unresponsive. ethernet packets drop. only reboot helps. sounds like a kernel/module problem.

my solution: no s3 standby Smile
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
Sounds like a differen problem, cause in my case, ssh still work. I can connect to it via winscp, and no problems at all. In my case, xbmc is the one that hangs, and the rest of the box is still working.
Solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=593...tcount=127
That is indeed the solution (it's some sort of SMB timeout bug in xbmc or ubuntu or win7, who knows) - but you might want to read the posts under the linked one as well - and you only see the shares when you expilicitly go to teh name, say 'ls -al /smb/yourservename/' rather than trying to 'ls' /smb itself.

Works like a charm, we've been up about a month now thanks to this fix, before this we had daily crashes and I tried just about everything to fix it. Make sure you get rid of ANY references to non-autofs mounted stuff, ie. any smb shares you've added/sources.xml etc...if they linger in the background, you will still get the crashes.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
massaquah Wrote:Solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=593...tcount=127

No it is no solution, since in my case, my shares are not auto-mounted. I have added them in XBMC as a source, and the PC the shares are on, is not always on.

I have read the above thread, and even installed the SMB on my xbmc, but then found out that I have a different setup.

How do I need to fix this in my case? What exactly does XMBC when I've added a network share as a source in the XBMC gui?
No the point is to work around using smb shares within XBMC by using autofs to auto mount them outside of xbmc. If use use the smb shares in XBMC, you get the hangs.

So follow the post and automount - if they're not always on, I don't think that will matter, when you browse to the (now local) /smb/yourservername/ they just won't be there if the source pc isn't on.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Well I tried to use the automount thing, but it is not working for me. I don't know why it doesn't works, because earlier the automounts was working correctly. Therefore I tried a different approach which I want to share here, because maybe someone else needs this too.

I don't know yet if the freeze is over, but my hopes are up for this solution. Here are the steps you need to take:

Connect to your box with winscp, and go to: /mnt
create the folder "share"
in /mnt/share/ create a subfolder that will hold your share files. This can be any name, as long as it is the same as #SHAREFOLDER as below from the script.

Then goto the folder /etc
Edit rc.local
Add the following lines:
Code:
sleep 10
/bin/mount -t smbfs -o username=#USERNAME,password=#PASS,rw,uid=#XBMCUSER //#SEVER/#SHARE /mnt/share/#SHAREFOLDER >>/tmp/script.log
exit 0
This command will mount your share to a location on your box. Replace the above as follows:
#USERNAME = the username you use to connect to your share
#PASS = the password you use to connect to your share
#XBMCUSER = the linux username that XBMC is running under. If you don't set this, you are not able to delete / create any files on your share from XBMC, because it is default mounted as the root user, on which normal user don't have read/write access to.

Important: Don't forget the sleep 10 command, because when booting your box, the network is not yet ready. The mount will fail with the message that your network is not yet ready. The sleep 10 command, allows the network to become ready, so that the mount will succeed.

Then create the following file on your local disk: "97remount-network.sh"

Put the following contents in this file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# This script uses curl. Install curl using the following command from your terminal apt-get install curl
# This script will restart lirc drivers, Lirc, and XBMC upon resume.

case "$1" in
        resume)
        /bin/umount /mnt/share/c
        /bin/mount -t smbfs -o username=#USERNAME,password=#PASS,rw,uid=#XBMCUSER //#SEVER/#SHARE /mnt/share/#SHAREFOLDER >>/tmp/script.log
        ;;
esac
Don't forget to replace the #.... with your correct settings.

Goto the folder /etc/pm/sleep.d/ on your box.

Upload the file "97remount-network.sh" to this folder. The reason you want to do this is because whenever you resume your machine from the S3 state, this file gets executed. It remounts your shares so that you are able to access them.

The reason I did this, is because my share is not always up (since this is my home PC), so it can happen that on boot of my xbmc, the share was not there. For me it is very easy to remount automatically now, since I just start up my home PC, and the only thing I have to do, is to press on the power button of my xbmc which puts it to S3, and press it again to start it up again. My shares are then automatically remounted, and works as I expect them to work.

Then goto the folder: /home/#XBMCUSER/.xbmc/userdata

Edit sources.xml
Remove any source that has "smb://" in it. In my case I did a replace of smb://#USER@..../ to /mnt/share/.... since I've mounted all my shares on my box.

Then edit passwords.xml
Remove your smb passwords

Last edit mediasources.xml
And also remove the share there.

After these steps, you should be able to have your shares running the way that xbmc no longer freezes.

If you have any questions, just feel free to ask!
I can confirm that the this problem is solved by using the mounting in the post above. I have this installed, and xmbc no longer freezes when I resume from s3.
For anyone using AutoFS, I came up with a script that has helped my system's stability tremendously.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86791

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC Freezes after S3 resuma, after browsing video's from the network.0