XBMC/DSPlayer interface flickers when playing movies
Hi All.

I've been having an issue since using DSPlayer, everything works well expect that when playing movies the drop down navigational control panel (contains play, pause, stop, audio/video settings, etc) flickers and resizes between big and small like crazy. The mouse cursor also flickers quite allot.

Its kind of hard to explain the effect but it only happens when running in true full screen mode, i.e. the problem does not occur when running in windowed mode or when "use a fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" is selected.

The problem also does not occur when using the DVDPlayer that usually comes with XBMC.

I have tried different VSync settings but it doesn't solve the problem.

has anyone else experienced this before or know how to fix it?

DSPlayer is really great and works extremely well, if only I could resolve this issue.

Im running a dual core AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with 2 gigs DD2 memory under windows XP service pack 3. Also using ffdshow and Haali media splitter with DSPlayer.
I've improved the issue quite a lot but not completely resolved it.

In ffdshow video decoder under output, if I tick YVYU and YUY2 and untick YV12 and UYVY the problem is greatly improved. If I go back to using the internal filters of DSPlayer then the problem gets much worse than before, all of XBMC shakes and flickers while watching a movie, including the movie itself. After exising the movie the XBMC interface continues to shake and flicker.

I guess it has something to do with the pixel format of the XMBC user interface that DSPlayer passes to the decoder but that is just a guess.
cl0ud Wrote:I've improved the issue quite a lot but not completely resolved it.

In ffdshow video decoder under output, if I tick YVYU and YUY2 and untick YV12 and UYVY the problem is greatly improved. If I go back to using the internal filters of DSPlayer then the problem gets much worse than before, all of XBMC shakes and flickers while watching a movie, including the movie itself. After exising the movie the XBMC interface continues to shake and flicker.

I guess it has something to do with the pixel format of the XBMC user interface that DSPlayer passes to the decoder but that is just a guess.
Its sounds about right if the decoder is not using dxva the software decoding is really basic for the pixel format. I written it and barely tested with one or two video.
I see, yes I'm not using DXVA as my video card doesn't support it, I am looking to purchase a new graphics card in the near future.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem or will it be fixed in a future release?

Have you been able to replicate the problem? sorry I don't have any debug information for you.
cl0ud Wrote:I see, yes I'm not using DXVA as my video card doesn't support it, I am looking to purchase a new graphics card in the near future.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem or will it be fixed in a future release?

Have you been able to replicate the problem? sorry I don't have any debug information for you.
It will be fixed. Just an advice you will get less problem with an nvidia card if you buy one.
Ok thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.
Just an update to this post.

I tested XBMC DSPlayer on a laptop that has a Readeon HD5450 graphics chip and found that the above mentioned problem does not occur. Therefore its very possible that its related to the graphics chip in my media PC which is an old Radeon X300 SE. I'll see how it goes after I've upgraded.
Thumbs Up 
I was reading and I tried something, that I think will help you too.

CHANGE THE RESOLUTION.

I had 800x600 and changed to 1024x768 and it worked!
Hey,

Sorry to drag up an old thread? But i was searching on line and found this thread... was this ever resolved?

This is the exact issue i am having on an Nvidia Ion on XPSP3?

Is it even possible to have the DSPlayer handle only MKV files but the default player to handle everything else? Can that be done in advanced settings or playercorefactory etc? is that a possibility?

Any ideas / advice?
Ok,

Here's what I have so far...

DSPlayer fro. DSPlayer thread (is there a unofficial 10.1 port DSPlayer by anyone?)
Nvidia ION
WinXp Sp3
Atom 330

This display issue is not apparent when set to full screen window.
This display issue is not apparent when the standard DVDPlayer is used.

When full screen window is used tearing is Introduced.
When the standard DVDPlayer is used HWDecoding is removed.

The solutions I can see are...

1 - Let DSPlayer ONLY deal with HD content and have DVDPlayer deal with everything else, meaning that the issue is localised to HD content only. However I am unsure of how to send only MKV etc to DSPlayer. Any ideas?

2 - Use external players such as MPC-HC

The guys that were experiencing this previously, did you get this resolved? If so, how did you achieve it?

Also @tiben do you know of a build I could use that does not exhibit this issue? Is there anything I can do to help identify it this bug and/or resolve it?

Thanks In advance,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC/DSPlayer interface flickers when playing movies0