crystal HD noob needs help
Using a 'Habey' version of the broadcom card ( which just arrived today ).

Updated my 9.11 with launcher.

added the 156 version of the driver support through launcher.

rebooted the apple tv. Under renderer I dont see the broadcom hd card ( just the same ol' list ).

I then installed Dharma by running a command via ssh which added an entry to my launcher. Installed and ran ok.

I see there was check box for crystal hd hardware accel and was checked by default. I made no difference and the CPU was consistently over 90% and playback was choppy.

I have no clue how to begin to debug this. I supsect in 9.11 the card was not being detected since the broadcom entry wasnt listed . In Dharma I have no idea if the crystal hd hardware check box is there all the time or not.

I see mention of a few things that I'm not sure how to do ( windows pc ).

How do I find and send along my xbox.log file?

how do I enable ( confluence ) the osd screen that shows all the nice stuff related to the video decoding?

Thanks!
rplaird Wrote:Using a 'Habey' version of the broadcom card ( which just arrived today ).

Updated my 9.11 with launcher.

added the 156 version of the driver support through launcher.

rebooted the apple tv. Under renderer I dont see the broadcom hd card ( just the same ol' list ).

I then installed Dharma by running a command via ssh which added an entry to my launcher. Installed and ran ok.

I see there was check box for crystal hd hardware accel and was checked by default. I made no difference and the CPU was consistently over 90% and playback was choppy.

I have no clue how to begin to debug this. I supsect in 9.11 the card was not being detected since the broadcom entry wasnt listed . In Dharma I have no idea if the crystal hd hardware check box is there all the time or not.

I see mention of a few things that I'm not sure how to do ( windows pc ).

How do I find and send along my xbox.log file?

how do I enable ( confluence ) the osd screen that shows all the nice stuff related to the video decoding?

Thanks!

If you see the checkbox for crystalhd, xbmc found the crystalhd lib and could open it (driver).

What content ? hint, use MediaInfo to tell.
dmesg
xbmc.log (see my sig)

video decoder OSD is an 'o' on the keyboard. If you don't have a keyboard attached, then you have to remap one of the remote buttons.
davilla Wrote:If you see the checkbox for crystalhd, xbmc found the crystalhd lib and could open it (driver).

What content ? hint, use MediaInfo to tell.
dmesg
xbmc.log (see my sig)

video decoder OSD is an 'o' on the keyboard. If you don't have a keyboard attached, then you have to remap one of the remote buttons.

No keyboard. I did find my xbmc.log file but its continually getting written to wih an error message about not being able to find a media db of some sort. I'll get back to you with the actual working of the message.

The content I'm using is 720p ( a recent predator rip I downloaded for testing ) but I dont suspect the bitrate is that high because it plays fairly good with 9.11 ( but with CPU always in the high 90's ). I'm also using an hdhomerun device which pegs the cpu ( 1080i ).

I went back to 9.11. Do you think I was on the right track with dharma?

Is there a clip that I should use to test with that will demo the support for the chip? ( at least that way I'll know I dont have a DOA card ).

Whats mediaInfo?
rplaird Wrote:No keyboard. I did find my xbmc.log file but its continually getting written to wih an error message about not being able to find a media db of some sort. I'll get back to you with the actual working of the message.

The content I'm using is 720p ( a recent predator rip I downloaded for testing ) but I dont suspect the bitrate is that high because it plays fairly good with 9.11 ( but with CPU always in the high 90's ). I'm also using an hdhomerun device which pegs the cpu ( 1080i ).

I went back to 9.11. Do you think I was on the right track with dharma?

Is there a clip that I should use to test with that will demo the support for the chip? ( at least that way I'll know I dont have a DOA card ).

Whats mediaInfo?

google mediaInfo.

can't help without xbmc.log, dmesg.
http://pastebin.ca/1948995

I went back to Dharma.

Here is the 720p log. The clip is playing well but no sure if its actually using the crystal card.

1080p wont play; I'll send that log in another post.

Thanks! ( I think I'm getting closer ! )
rplaird Wrote:http://pastebin.ca/1948995

I went back to Dharma.

Here is the 720p log. The clip is playing well but no sure if its actually using the crystal card.

1080p wont play; I'll send that log in another post.

Thanks! ( I think I'm getting closer ! )

"DEBUG: CrystalHD(new API): device opened", so far so good.

"NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: MPEG-4 part 2", crystalhd was not used for this because it's an AVI file.
http://pastebin.ca/1949017

same log file as above but after I opened a 1080i stream from the hd homerun.

Plays in a somewhat slow motion fashion with about a 2 - 3 sec audio delay problem.

opened hdhomerun stream at 16:28:17
rplaird Wrote:http://pastebin.ca/1949017

same log file as above but after I opened a 1080i stream from the hd homerun.

Plays in a somewhat slow motion fashion with about a 2 - 3 sec audio delay problem.

opened hdhomerun stream at 16:28:17

1080i is not going to be possible under atv(osx) even with crystalhd, takes too much CPU resources to handle the de-interlacing.

Find a mkv that is h264, start with 720p as 1080p will not be possible under atv(osx) as these take too much CPU resources to handle with the current internal XBMC structure.

It you want 1080p, move to atv(linux) -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV
Davilla,

"It you want 1080p, move to atv(linux) -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...on_the_AppleTV"

Does this work flawlessly on 1080p?
bcboncs Wrote:Davilla,

"It you want 1080p, move to atv(linux) -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...on_the_AppleTV"

Does this work flawlessly on 1080p?

For video content that the crystalhd can handle, yes it seems to work well. I dislike the term flawless, it implies 100 percent and nothing is 100 percent certain in life except for death. You could have a borked 1080p encoding and the crystalhd will barf at it.
davilla Wrote:For video content that the crystalhd can handle, yes it seems to work well. I dislike the term flawless, it implies 100 percent and nothing is 100 percent certain in life except for death. You could have a borked 1080p encoding and the crystalhd will barf at it.

While I agree with you I just feel like it would be a hassle to drop $200 on an item and configure it from scratch all to see that it is incapable to work "60% of the time it works every time"

Kind of a funny quote but in another sense I'm actually kind of curious... aside from those borked 1080p encoded videos, does it play without any stutters throughout the movie? In other words, would I notice any difference from an ION?

Sorry to hassle ya, but this Cystalbuntu thing seems very interesting but I want to be sure this is what I want. Thanks man I appreciate it.
bcboncs Wrote:While I agree with you I just feel like it would be a hassle to drop $200 on an item and configure it from scratch all to see that it is incapable to work "60% of the time it works every time"

Kind of a funny quote but in another sense I'm actually kind of curious... aside from those borked 1080p encoded videos, does it play without any stutters throughout the movie? In other words, would I notice any difference from an ION?

Sorry to hassle ya, but this Cystalbuntu thing seems very interesting but I want to be sure this is what I want. Thanks man I appreciate it.

If you are paying $200, ya getting ripped. ebay prices are dirt cheap as many are dumping their old AppleTV for the new one. An ION solution is better if you want to toss anything at it.
In terms of the 70-80$ Crystal HD hardware and the AppleTV on top of it ~100-120$ = ~200$?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
crystal HD noob needs help0