[LINUX] New Maplin "aim" Media Center Remote Control For Windows 7 - making it work
Hi All

just a quick helping hand if anyone else is buying one of these and then trying to make it work in linux (Ubuntu 9.10 actually)

I have what I thought was the same remote on my ion system downstairs so when I built a new box out of an old optiplex pc I naturally went for what works.

Except...

The older one is branded for "vista" not windows 7 and it seems the remote receiver is a different model.

After checking lsusb -v it turns out this is a Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. unit.

After some more googling I found this article at fscker.ca http://www.fscker.ca/rc/2010/04/27/media...untu-9-10/

Basically the device is not in the default lirc distribution so you will need to add the device in.

The full details can be found at the link above but in short form

Code:
Start a terminal
# sudo apt-get install lirc-modules-source
# sudo nano -cw /usr/src/lirc-0.8.6/drivers/lirc_mceusb/lirc_mceusb.c
   (or use vi or your editor of choice)
go to line 208 or therabouts
add these lines under the last entry for Formosa devices

/* Formosa Industrial Computing MG-IR01BK */
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_FORMOSA, 0xe03e) },

save the file

# dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source
# service lirc restart
# ls -lh /dev/lirc*

you should see the device has been created

crw-rw—- 1 root root 61, 0 2010-04-25 13:45 /dev/lirc0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    19 2010-04-25 13:45 /dev/lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd

Many thanks to whomever rbcmpbll is since this saved what would probably have been many more hours of headaches.

Cheers all

Ed
so... this is in order to make the RECEIVER work, not the remote ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:so... this is in order to make the RECEIVER work, not the remote ?

Hi.

The remote will work fine (and does if used on the other machine) the issue is simply the electronics in the usb device that make the ir receiver work. The USB identification wasnt being recognised by lirc so it didnt set up the device. No issues with xbmc itself just the use of the remote to power it.

Didnt need to change a thing in xbmc; once lirc was working xbmc worked fine Big Grin

(had to set up my python script / irexec to switch between xbmc and myth front end and lirc commands in myth but thats another story!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] New Maplin "aim" Media Center Remote Control For Windows 7 - making it work0