XBMC Dharma2 Live - Revo Install Fails
I've now attempted to install the Live beta versions using SD media & the linux tool for writting ISO files to USB devices. Both occasions the Revo boots up from the SD and prompts for the keyboard layout and then fails when trying to find CD drivers.

Has anyone installed the beta using SD on a standard Revo or am I missing somthing very very basic.

Many Thanks
Duncan
I have never tried off SD but USB would be far more simple.
Edit the bios and disable revo boot. Edit the boot order to include usb.
On reboot hit F12 and select the USB
Make sure to format the usb flash drive in fat32

Drew
Acer Revo 1600 2Gb ram OpenELEC Eden Nighlies. SABnzbd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato Addons
Synology DS210j Soon to be Retired
HP ProLiant N40L
Try USB with Unetbootin on a Fat32 drive, works like a champ.
a18041967,

If you used unetbootin to create bootable media, you need to press TAB and type the following line:

Code:
detect-cdrom/try-usb=true

I believe that should work with SD media, but if not, I suggest that you follow the previous advice and use a flash drive, if possible

Tobor
I am having the same issue - I reported the error in the thread "[LINUX] HOW-TO: Dharma Quick-start Guide on Acer Aspire Revo 1600".

I can not get past the "no common CD-Rom".

Setup:
Acer revo 1600
storage: 8gb SD (internal sata drive removed)
boot: 4 gb USB stick (format: fat32 using unetbootin with XBMC Freak beta t2.iso)
Trancethereal Wrote:I am having the same issue - I reported the error in the thread "[LINUX] HOW-TO: Dharma Quick-start Guide on Acer Aspire Revo 1600".

I can not get past the "no common CD-Rom".

Setup:
Acer revo 1600
storage: 8gb SD (internal sata drive removed)
boot: 4 gb USB stick (format: fat32 using unetbootin with XBMC Freak beta t2.iso)

Sounds as if you need to giro the bios an edit boot priority and possibly even disable "Revo Boot"
Acer Revo 1600 2Gb ram OpenELEC Eden Nighlies. SABnzbd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato Addons
Synology DS210j Soon to be Retired
HP ProLiant N40L
Under Ubuntu 10.04 I had this same issue.

I have a funky suspicion that the version that was placed onto my system using apt-get install isn't working properly.

Once I Downloaded the the version at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net and created my bootable usb media the issues went away.
Had the same issue with my new Zotac ZBOX HD-11.

My solution.

1. Copy the live isofile on a second usb-stick.

2. Boot from the first usb-stick (created with unetbootin).

3. After the message "no cdrom found" Press ALT+F2 for a second shell

4. Mount the second usb-stick "mkdir /tmp/iso" then "mount /dev/sdc1 /tmp/iso".

5. Create a smbolic link "ln -s /tmp/iso/xbmc-Dharma_beta2-live.iso /dev/sr0"

6. Go back to the install screen with ALT+F1 and scan again for a cdrom

7. Now the installer finds a "cdrom" :-).

JJ
Try and use this version of UNetbootin
this fixed my problem

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboot...ootin/471/
None of the above solutions worked. Any other advice to get xbmcfreak-1000-beta2-t4 working on revo?
Did you try jaeyjaey's directions?

This is how I installed it using usb-key (basically same as jaeyjaey's, except with just one usb-key and slightly different steps at the end that worked for me)

1) format usb-key to FAT
2) use unetbootin to prep the usb-key as normal
3) copy the same XBMC image you just used to the key
4) when install fails with no common cdrom drive hit alt-f2 and enter
5) create directory for the mount
Code:
mkdir iso
6) mount the usb-key
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /iso
7) link the image we copied to the usb-key (change the image name below to match your case)
Code:
ln -sf /iso/xbmcfreak-1000-beta2-t4.iso /dev/sr0
8) back to the installer with alt-f1
9) answer NO when it asks if you want to load CDROM drivers, and YES when you want to manually select the device
10) use the /dev/sr0 as CDROM when asked for device
Code:
/dev/sr0
11) answer NO when installer asks if you want to unmount Smile
Seems easy enough, will give it a shot. I ended up going for an older version of Dharma prepackaged for a USBLive but now I have to go about installing the drivers manually.
This worked for me:
- after creating disk with unetbootin, copy the original ISO file in the same USB disk (so you need an USB disk at least twice the ISO size; 1GB will do)
- When it says "CDROM not found", press ctrl-alt-F2 to open another console
- then execute "mountmedia"
- then press "mount" -> answer will contain something like " /dev/sdb mounted on /media"
- execute "ls /media" and, among other files, your xbmc ISO file will appear
- execute then "ln -s /media/xbmcfreak-1000-maverick-v2.iso /dev/sr0" (or whatever your ISO file is named)
- press ctrl-alt-F1 to go back to installation
- say "no" to enter a driver from removable media, "yes" to manually enter the cdrom device
- when asked for cdrom device, enter "/dev/sr0"

That worked for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Dharma2 Live - Revo Install Fails0