[ATV] Fastest (good looking) skin for ATV?
grey Wrote:@davilla, so basically all i need to do on a ATV with navite OS is to set this parameter to "true" and rescan my library?
thanks.

Just tried this on ATV, native OS.... BIG difference!
Set the parameter in advancedsettings.xml, rebooted, and then spent the next couple hours slowly browsing through all my stuff making sure all images appeared on screen for a sec before moving to next image. By this morning the system is way faster with little or no hesitation as I browse through my libraries!
I really can't believe how much more responsive this makes the UI, is there a command/script that can do the entire thumbnail database at once rather than scrolling through all of it?
davilla Wrote:advancedsettings.xml is used for tweeks, it's not present normally so you need to add it.

In the advancedsettings.xml file, add

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Then the conversion happens if and only if you display a fanart or poster image in XBMC. If you haven't viewed an image, a dds version of it will not be created

Where should this file be located?

users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app?

Darryl
ddale Wrote:Where should this file be located?

users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app?

Darryl

I am running Dharma 2 on an Apple TV... here is where mine is:

/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata
where are the created DDS files stored? I'm using a thumb-drive for XBMC so I'd prefer not having them stored there. Is there an option to store the DDS files within each movie folder like my .nfo and tbn files?
thnmnt Wrote:where are the created DDS files stored? I'm using a thumb-drive for XBMC so I'd prefer not having them stored there. Is there an option to store the DDS files within each movie folder like my .nfo and tbn files?

From the Wiki:
Quote:All textures that XBMC loads, with the exception of textures that are provided directly by the skin, are cached to the userdata/Thumbnails folder.

For videos and music, the thumbs and fanart are cached into the Video and Music subdirectories of the Thumbnails folder. All other images are cached directly into the userdata/Thumbnails folder. In future versions of XBMC, the video and music artwork will be cached using the full texture cache.

If you're using the Linux/CrystalHD/XBMC image it would be: ~/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/
Thanks for the reply - So I guess the thumbnails I have in my movie folders are basically only needed for re-installing the library. If I choose to go the DDS route, would the cached thumbnails contain both the dds and the uncompressed images? Or just the new, faster DDS images? I guess, since I'm running off the USB drive I don't really have a sense of how much extra storage I've got or how much storage these images take up.

Is there any reason to NOT use DDS art?

(hope I'm not jacking this thread but I figured it did have to do with the general topic of skin speed!)
The only reason to not use DDS is if you are severely constrained on space. Another reason is that DXT compressed images *MAY* look worse than their jpg/png/tbn counterparts, but I can't tell the difference.

Form what the wiki says, both the compressed and uncompressed images will stay in the userdata folder. The DDS compression is only used after the fact, so the original files are still the ones that are updated when the library is rescanned and rescraped, then the DDS is regenerated when it is displayed.
Is there a way to force XBMC to regen ALL DDS art?

I have a huge library and anytime I fire it up on a new machine Library view grinds to a halt and won't respond to the remote while it generates stuff.
I also wish there was a way to tell XBMC that you want to use dds and have XBMC auto-generate the compressed images from all Library images and after that, as new items are added to the Library, generate the dds image for it.
(mine must be getting pretty hefty as I have swapped out half the images of the Movie Library over the past few days)..

I understand though, that it initially could bog down the system and some might not understand what is happening, get impatient, and whinge about having to wait for the job to complete.

A definable separate database would be nice also, but I'm sure it would start getting too complicated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Fastest (good looking) skin for ATV?0