New member from Plex
Ok,

So im currently using plex and am having the usual issue of stuttering video and audio sink due to varying FPS video. Is there anything in XBMC that will fix this as if there is im willing to switch and use XBMC, all i want is a unified experience across all my content without having to keep messing about with settings on refresh rates, and FPS etc Plex is not giving me that, I didnt even know about XBMC until today and was hoping it could solve it? Maybe something like on the fly refresh rate adjustment or something similar? Or am i just assuming this technology is here when actually its not and everyone faces this issue and you gotta just live with it right now?

Thanks to all for the help
Hi and Welcome.

We don't have on the fly refresh rate adjustment yet (awaiting Dharma release due to a refactor) but we do have a very nice cadence correction along with the ability to sync the display playback to either audio or video time codes. This works very well.

I suggest grabbing the Dharma beta2 at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/ and giving it a whirl. If you still have issues, please let us know so that we can get these addressed right away.
You guys are fast Big Grin

Im gonna give it a wurl tomorrow and see how we get on as all the stuff your talking about seems nice! Hopefully we will see better results Smile

Any idea of how long it will be before the on the fly stuff will be ready?

Thanks

Chris
bigc23 Wrote:You guys are fast Big Grin

Im gonna give it a wurl tomorrow and see how we get on as all the stuff your talking about seems nice! Hopefully we will see better results Smile

Any idea of how long it will be before the on the fly stuff will be ready?

Thanks

Chris

Well, Dharma release is priority but after that, I have plans to refactor for on the fly refresh rate adjustment. A time frame is hard to predict as it depends how long it takes for Dharma release.

Unlike the other guys, we do all our work in the open and you can actually follow svn commits as they happen (http://trac.xbmc.org/timeline). Also we have a good write up on how to build XBMC for Mac from scratch. That's one area that I've worked long and hard on, the ability for anyone to build the full XBMC for Mac from our svn source code. Plus after Dharma release, nightly builds will resume so you would have two ways to get any features added after Dharma release.
Ok, so I have checked and the problematic content is 29.97FPS and the rest of the good stuff is 23.796FPS. Why is there the difference? surely there should be one unified encoding format that everyone knows to use? Im guessing the technology within this type of software isn't advanced enough yet to allow it to sort this problem on the fly for us, to allow smooth and judder free viewing on all types of refresh rate? What features in XBMC would adjust this as it seems only a few of the shows I have are 29.97FPS which is strange and annoying at the same time.

Cheers

Chris
bigc23 Wrote:Ok, so I have checked and the problematic content is 29.97FPS and the rest of the good stuff is 23.796FPS. Why is there the difference? surely there should be one unified encoding format that everyone knows to use? Im guessing the technology within this type of software isn't advanced enough yet to allow it to sort this problem on the fly for us, to allow smooth and judder free viewing on all types of refresh rate? What features in XBMC would adjust this as it seems only a few of the shows I have are 29.97FPS which is strange and annoying at the same time.

Cheers

Chris

Can you post a sample of your problematic content somewhere. Or PM me the exact name so I can search it down?

Encoding FPS really depends on the original source of the content. If ripped from a bluray, it's most likey 23.796FPS. If captured using say an HDPVR, might be 29.97FPS or 60. Some people so silly things like change the framerate during the encode which can cause all sorts of silly effects.

In system -> video -> playback. "Sync playback to display" when you enable that, you can choose the method, "audio clock", "video clock (dup/drop)" and "Video clock (resample audio).

I would also enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" this setting really controls two internal settings, the actual display change is not implemented because I need to refactor the display handling code to support it.
Davillia I understand that symptoms and cause can be wide and varying but is there a 'best practice' with all this stuff?

Would there perhaps be some value in a 'wizard' which checks files and adjust before playing or is that uber silly talk?

I did a clean install of OSX on my mini which is used for XBMC and since then it judders pretty badly and for the life of me I cannot remember which setting I would have set before when it did not do it. I remember it being linked to refresh within osx and have played with that but with varying results.
garyi Wrote:Davillia I understand that symptoms and cause can be wide and varying but is there a 'best practice' with all this stuff?

Would there perhaps be some value in a 'wizard' which checks files and adjust before playing or is that uber silly talk?

I did a clean install of OSX on my mini which is used for XBMC and since then it judders pretty badly and for the life of me I cannot remember which setting I would have set before when it did not do it. I remember it being linked to refresh within osx and have played with that but with varying results.

Really depends on which "group" does the encoding. If you do all your own ripping then the encoding is in your control. Of particular pain is TV where the commercials are stripped and they don't remux to fixup the timecode. So you get nice timecodes marching along then opps a big jump and our dvdplayer has to sort all that out and re-sync.

I keep a known set of test files, I start simple then move to harder ones when testing. MOVs are almost always good with respect to how they where encoded.
davilla Wrote:Unlike the other guys, we do all our work in the open and you can actually follow svn commits as they happen (http://trac.xbmc.org/timeline). Also we have a good write up on how to build XBMC for Mac from scratch. That's one area that I've worked long and hard on, the ability for anyone to build the full XBMC for Mac from our svn source code. Plus after Dharma release, nightly builds will resume so you would have two ways to get any features added after Dharma release.

I really appreciate your efforts on facilitating anyone to build xbmc on OSX. This is something I had trouble with Plex either because of outdated documentation or closed sourcing. Thanks Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New member from Plex0