streaming over 10/100 ethernet vs 802.11g
I did a test and copied over a 720p mkv movie about (2gb) directly to my ATV and played it with xbmc 9.11 and it doesn't stutter like it does over wireless streaming.

I was wondering if it would be better for me to run an entirely wired setup for my appletv directly to my router and my have my source computer connected to ethernet cable as well? Will this make the stuttering issue go away? I want to be able to play 720p microHD mkv files without having to spend any more money.
turbinez Wrote:I did a test and copied over a 720p mkv movie about (2gb) directly to my ATV and played it with xbmc 9.11 and it doesn't stutter like it does over wireless streaming.

I was wondering if it would be better for me to run an entirely wired setup for my appletv directly to my router and my have my source computer connected to ethernet cable as well? Will this make the stuttering issue go away? I want to be able to play 720p microHD mkv files without having to spend any more money.

Stop saying microHD, it means nothing Smile HD is 720p and above.

Wired is always better than wireless. Wireless depends on environmental conditions. 801.11g "should" be fine for 720p HD content. It works for my laptops but then again, the access point is 3 feet away. All my fixed media centers have wired connection.
wired is > than wireless
take it as you will, but if you are having problems wireless *hello* you should be using a wired connection

-=Jason=-
Okay cool just wanted to hear what others have to say. But if running everything wired, then how come theres a need for people getting the broadcom crystal HD card?

Davilla, sorry, I thought microHD files were completely different from other HD encodes since its more compact compared to a regular bluray rip per se.
turbinez Wrote:Okay cool just wanted to hear what others have to say. But if running everything wired, then how come theres a need for people getting the broadcom crystal HD card?

Davilla, sorry, I thought microHD files were completely different from other HD encodes since its more compact compared to a regular bluray rip per se.

why broadcom crystal HD? video decode. that has nothing to do with wired or wireless provided you can deliver video content fast enough.

h264 (and almost all video content) is encoded (compressed), crystalhd decodes it (de-compresses).

Even a Gbit eithernet link could not handle raw YUV 1080p video.
Question: How are you using wireless on an ATV if you have the Crystal HD installed? My solution is to use a wireless bridge, plugging the ATV into the client bridge. Two Frys Wireless N (FR-300N only $30 each!) flashed with DD-WRT, one configured as an access point the other as a client bridge. I'm getting 130mb+ connection between them, and five 100BT ports out of the bridge. Very stable, full DHCP, etc. to the devices connected to the client. This is very handy for a setup where it is difficult to get a wire to your A/V equipment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
streaming over 10/100 ethernet vs 802.11g0