Unraid NAS
I currently have about 5TB of data and looking to build an UnRaid server so that it is not spread out over so many drives. Its all music in FLAC format. I may want to be able to expand it to 10TB of protected data.

Would it be best to build it with 1TB drives or 2TB, or does it not matter? How many drives should I get?

Is it unwise to have bit torrent uploading and downloading from that drive?

I'd appreciate any hardware advise that you may have...
2TB drives have a better per gigabyte price point.

bigger hdd's = less of them = less power

2TB "green" hdd's is probably the sweet spot today for unRAID, especially if you're buying new. Note though that Samsung's F4 series are not suitable for unRAID due to 4KB cluster size
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

for me its WD green 2TB drives from here on out. im not even wasting my money or time on 1TB or 1.5TB only to have to replace it with a 2TB drive when it fills up.

-=Jason=-
The only time I think you look outside WD 2TB Green drives for Unraid is for the parity drive. It pays to put a 7200rpm 2TB drive in that slot.

Thanks for the replies on the drives.

Any suggestions on the box and motherboard I should go after?
ozzybeef Wrote:Thanks for the replies on the drives.

Any suggestions on the box and motherboard I should go after?

I've built pretty much the budget box and very happy with it.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ded_Builds
poofyhairguy Wrote:The only time I think you look outside WD 2TB Green drives for Unraid is for the parity drive. It pays to put a 7200rpm 2TB drive in that slot.

when funds permit my next drive will be a WD Black drive as parity and I'll just move my 2TB green into a data slot Smile

-=Jason=-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unraid NAS0