HTPC Hardware help-Christmas gift build
I'm looking for some advice to build a couple of HTPC's as Chrismas gifts for my sisters. No one but myself in my family is computer savvy at all, so I am trying to keep things as simplistic as possible. Here are my goals:

1. Self-contained. Media will be stored on the HTPC itself, so networking issues can be avoided. Want space for 2 3.5 inch HDD's to give them plenty of room to grow, as well as a DVD player so they can either watch DVD's directly or rip them to the HDD's. Needs to be able to output to something older than HDMI, such as component or S-Video, since I think one of them only has an older TV.

2. Simple. No automating torrent downloads, no RSS feeds, no DVR functionality necessary. This is something to augment their cable, not replace it. Easy to control with a simple, no-frills remote and interface.

3. Low maintenance. If they have to go in and tweak anything mor in-depth than user settings for skins and such in XBMC, then I am afraid that they will lose interest.

4. Low cost. I'm going to build 2 or 3 as gifts, so the parts have to be affordable.

I'd like to try using the Live version of XBMC to keep from having to buy an OS. On my personal box I use windows, but I also mess with it a lot more than my sisters ever will. I want a simple, set-top interface for them.

Please help me build a system that fits my needs. I'm not all that great on the hardware side of this business, and I need some advice. I think an XBMC box would be a great gift for my family that they and their kids would get a lot of use out of if I can make it simple and easy for them to use. If anyone can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sounds like you need some original Xboxes + a few external HDs.

I built my a sister an AppleTV + Broadcom + External HD system, but I wouldn't recommend that unless there is a HDTV involved (my sis has a nice one).

For standard def and simplicity (and cost) nothing beats Xbox1.

I thought about the Xbox route, but I would like to build them something a little nicer than that. Also, one will definitely need HD, and the other will most likely be getting a new TV for Christmas. I'd just like to have a SD connection option if she doesn't.
I can really appreciate your intended goals, but it would be helpful to know how much your budget allows. Newegg has basic laptops for $400, but their small hard drives limit the amount of video/music/photos you'll be able to store on it. Consider that a typical 2 hr movie compressed to a DivX Home Theater quality is ~1.5GB. And an on-board S-Video output is getting kind of hard to find these days so that requirement alone means a separate video card. You'll get into the $500-$800 range for a basic desktop PC, and then can easily go over $1000 for something that looks and operates more like a home theatre style AV component with a decent remote. What's your price point?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Hardware help-Christmas gift build0