Scaling issue when changing to 24p
Question 
TV: LCD @1920x1080 (default 60hz)
Video Card: ATI HD 3450
Video Drivers: Catalyst 10.9
I am using Dharma Beta 2.

In the video options, if I check the box for "Adjust display refresh rate to match video", and then watch a video that uses 24p refresh rate, it scales the video wrong so that there are black bars around the top, bottom, and sides of the video. I have overscan set to 0% in the ATI drivers.

If I try to use the video calibration tool, it won't let me move the blue arrows any further than the edges of the black bars on the top, bottom, and sides. I can only make the picture smaller.

Anyone know how to fix this type of problem?
You'll have to set each refresh rate's size from the desktop using the graphic card's interface.
i have same problem
every time XBMC changes refresh rate, picture become scaled, but scaling in driver settings is always 0%
Do as Hitcher says, but upgrade to Hotfix 10.9a and it should fix it, if you got an ati card that is.
Linus82 Wrote:Do as Hitcher says, but upgrade to Hotfix 10.9a and it should fix it, if you got an ati card that is.

What is hotfix 10.9a?

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks. I will try this tonight when I get home from work.
ghostelement Wrote:What is hotfix 10.9a?

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks. I will try this tonight when I get home from work.

I installed the hotfix and it didn't make any difference. Still having the same issue. In fact, after the screen changes to 24p and the scaling gets all weird, then changes back to 60p when I press stop on the video, the scaling still stays all underscanned. This stays that way until I go into the ATI control panel and look at the scaling properties. Even though it says it's at 0% overscan, if I move the slider to a different spot, and then move it back to 0% it gets fixed. It only stays that way though until I play another video with a different refresh rate than 60.
I think you should set the scale at 0% for 23 Hz not 24 Hz..
1. Open regedit.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\
3. Search for the right key by going into the 0000 key under each one and looking for someting that says something like "ATI Radeon HD 3450 Series".
4. Depending on your display order you might need to go into 0001 or higher to find the right display, I don't know how to find the correct one for your system.
5. Right-click and export your key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" so you can revert the changes if something goes wrong.
6. We're now going to edit values of these binaries:

DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x24
DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x50
DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x60

(they might be named differently on your system but not by much)

7. You need to change the value I've marked in the following picture from 02 (or higher) to 00 for all three of them if needed.
(If the picture should disappear, it is the value in the fifth column on the line beginning with 0020)
8. Reboot.
9. Profit!

OT: Why is there a magic space appearing in the word "Control" in point two?
0wing Wrote:1. Open regedit.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\
3. Search for the right key by going into the 0000 key under each one and looking for someting that says something like "ATI Radeon HD 3450 Series".
4. Depending on your display order you might need to go into 0001 or higher to find the right display, I don't know how to find the correct one for your system.
5. Right-click and export your key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" so you can revert the changes if something goes wrong.
6. We're now going to edit values of these binaries:

DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x24
DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x50
DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x60

(they might be named differently on your system but not by much)

7. You need to change the value I've marked in the following picture from 02 (or higher) to 00 for all three of them if needed.
(If the picture should disappear, it is the value in the fifth column on the line beginning with 0020)
8. Reboot.
9. Profit!

OT: Why is there a magic space appearing in the word "Control" in point two?

THANK YOU! Based on the info you provided, I was able to fix the issue using the registry. Is this a bug with XBMC? or windows? or ATI drivers? If it's XBMC, is there any plans for a fix? Thanks again!
It's a bug in the catalyst drivers. Should be fixed in 10.10 though, if I remember correctly.
0wing Wrote:It's a bug in the catalyst drivers. Should be fixed in 10.10 though, if I remember correctly.

Well that's good news.... I would hate to have to keep finding that registry value.
I'm having the same "error"

tried to fix it with the registry work around ... so it has not been fixed by ATI so far.

Registry fix worked great Smile thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scaling issue when changing to 24p0