Audio from a chromebox when TV is off
I have a rather general and noob question. Do not have a hardware to try it out..
I am thinking about a setup like this Chromebox -> TV -> receiver. Chromebox to TV is via HDMI, and TV to receiver only audio is used via S/PDIF.
Would like to listen to music without a TV screen being turned on. Will I get sound if:
1. TV is suspended (shutdown via remote control)?
2. TV is on, but Chromebox put video output to sleep mode?

Thanks!
so you want your TV to decode/extract the audio from an HDMI input and route it via its optical out, while the set is off? I give that a 99% chance of not working, regardless of what two devices you are using
yes, that is what I was thinking about. Thought that it shouldn't work... But do you know how audio is routed if both HDMI and speaker outs are plugged. So if I connect TV via HDMI and a receiver through stereo speakers out, will I get audio on both ends? Or I will have to disconnect speakers out in order to get audio in HDMI?
The motivation behind this is that if I can input audio from a Chromebox and TV to different input channels of a receiver and just switch the channels from a remote to hear one or another, then this will be what I want. In this case I would use TV and it's audio for movies and Chromebox speakers out for music.
I've used the audio switcher add-on to control output from a remote.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
I think what fralik is referring to is Power Saving Mode whereby only the TV screen gets turned off but all other TV functions operate normally. This is not a Standby mode.

I can select this Power Saving function via my Sony TV's remote control, and use it quite a bit when listening to Audio.
Maybe it could possibly be implemented via HDMI CEC with some work from a talented coder.

No use to the OP however as the Chromebox has no included HDMI CEC.

There is a Power Saving function in XBMC system settings that can put a display to sleep when idle. This works when XBMC has has been truly idling with minimal activity after a specified time period. On my Sony TV the display still does not turn off however, it just turns black.

Wouldn't something like this work for your needs? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO4X4?psc=1
That works with a Chromebox, plug n play (Openelec).

However OP's setup would then need to be:

Chromebox > HDMI > TV > anything not S/PDIF > Receiver
and

Chromebox > Turtle Beach > S/PDIF > Receiver

Auto audio switching to different sound outputs is also now available via a add-on:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=201896

I recently got my first ever receiver so I'm not a world authority on any of this stuff. Mine takes multiple hdmi inputs and has one hdmi output to the tv. Does yours work the same way? If so your tv doesn't have to be turned on to get audio. Plug your xbmc box into one of the inputs on the receiver. I have a harmony remote. I've set one activity on it for xbmc and another for xbmc with audio only. If I select the latter it just turns the tv off. Works really nicely. For remote control of the music I run Yatse on an android phone.

Edit:

Just re-read op's post:

(2014-12-10, 12:30)fralik Wrote: and TV to receiver only audio is used via S/PDIF.

I think this means my response was a bit silly... although having said that my receiver cost about a third of the current price of an ASUS Chromebox and that configuration really does simplify things for what the op wants to do.
@ fralik have a read from this link onwards in the Chromebox thread......

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1720533

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio from a chromebox when TV is off0