XBMC Live/Linux-Friendly Shade in the works...
I started working on this today using iGotDVDs latest commit to his GIT repo. I have standardized the case of of all image file names in the skin as well as the case of the folder names. I am currently slowly making my way through all of the .XML files in the skin, making the image file refences match the proper case. As soon as I complete the XMLs, I will upload the package to RapidShare and post a link here. Hopefully iGotDVDs can standardize his new code to account for case-sensitivity and Shade will play nice on all host Operating Systems.

I have made no other modifications to the skin, other than standardizing the case of the filenames and references to them in the .xml files.

-hogfan
hogfan Wrote:I started working on this today using iGotDVDs latest commit to his GIT repo. I have standardized the case of of all image file names in the skin as well as the case of the folder names. I am currently slowly making my way through all of the .XML files in the skin, making the image file refences match the proper case. As soon as I complete the XMLs, I will upload the package to RapidShare and post a link here. Hopefully iGotDVDs can standardize his new code to account for case-sensitivity and Shade will play nice on all host Operating Systems.

I have made no other modifications to the skin, other than standardizing the case of the filenames and references to them in the .xml files.

-hogfan

Thanks for all your work. Since I most likely wont change any of the files you are working on, maybe you could create a patch that I could apply to my next GIT update that would fix all of the files on it as well.
To learn more, click here.
Just an update, but I am still banging my way through the .xmls. Only about 8 more to go. I should have something to upload tomorrow. I will need some people on Linux to test it also.

-hogfan
Download HERE:

Removed Download Link - igotdvds has a better way to resolve this now.

Ok, I finally made it through all of the .xml files! Please see the text file included in the root of the skin folder after downloading and unpacking to see the documentation of the changes I have made.

Basically, I spent the last 3 day standardizing the skin so that all filenames are lower-case, all directories are lower-case, all font files are lower-case. Once that was completed, I manually went through every .xml file and corrected all references to ALL images, fonts, and directories in the skin to match the new lower-case standard.

To keep this skin compatible with XBMCLive (Linux), Windows, Mac, it is recommended that all images, fonts, directories, etc. that are added to the skin adhere to this all lower-case standard.

Now everybody should be able to enjoy iGotDvds awesome skin regardless of your host OS. Please report any issue you encounter in this thread and I will try to assist.
Once this has been well-tested on XBMC-Live, iGotDVDs should be able get this implemented in GIT.

Enjoy!

-hogfan
You dont happen to have a list of what you changed do you? I could make the change son my side on all the files I've created for the new update.
@igotdvds

The following changes have been made to this skin to make it fully Linux compatible for use on XBMC LIVE or standalone Linux installations.

1.) All images in the skin (.png & .jpg) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

2.) All fonts (.ttf) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

3.) All folders within the shade skin directory (and subdirectories) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

4.) ALL .xml files in the 720P directory have been manually edited so that all fonts, image files, and directories are being referenced using the proper case (all lower-case)

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
-hogfan
hogfan Wrote:@igotdvds

The following changes have been made to this skin to make it fully Linux compatible for use on XBMC LIVE or standalone Linux installations.

1.) All images in the skin (.png & .jpg) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

2.) All fonts (.ttf) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

3.) All folders within the shade skin directory (and subdirectories) have been renamed to all lower-case characters.

4.) ALL .xml files in the 720P directory have been manually edited so that all fonts, image files, and directories are being referenced using the proper case (all lower-case)

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
-hogfan

Well we probably should have collaborated more on this. I am ready to push my next update but I dont want all your work to go to waste. Looks like I'll have to do everything you did on my side as well. Smile
Why don't you guys use git as it's meant to be used? Maintaining separate repos and uploading to rapidshare is just absurd.

Hogfan: Fork the original on github, work on a modified version, use pull requests, and do nice merges. And do a bit of googling, you'll be amazed at how powerful this git thing is.

igotdvds: His work shouldn't affect you at all. Git makes it simple to merge assuming you play by the rules.

TheUni
Yes, we probably should have..........I just kind of started working on it. Smile Can you try my uploaded version of Shade on your Windows box, spefically going into the Movies, TV Shows from the main menu and see how it behaves? The skin freezes there on my Linux install. Has to be something case-sensitivity related because that was all I changed.

Trying to track that down to fix it.
@theuni

This is supposed to be a one-time fix. I noticed issues on XBMC linux related to the case-sensitivity and decided to standardize the file naming for compatibility purposes. The intial issue was that igotdvds was unaware of case-sensitivity on Linux when he made the skin, so I tried to assist with the dirty work of standardizing the case across the skin. Git would make perfect sense if I were going to continue to work on a modified version of the skin and maintain it. This endeavor was simply to fix what was broken and save the skinner some time (so he can work on more great features for shade Smile) My work does not actually change anything other than lower-case, upper-case letters. Smile
Nevermind, on the problem launching tvshows and movies. Seems to be working fine now. I'm going to test with your git version to try and replicate the problem.
Question. If I change every single character in every file. Will that cause any issues? This would include things like Control.IsVisible, etc.

I have a quick way of changing everything to lowercase but it would be EVERY word in EVERY file.
I wouldn't think you would want to change everything. Once I changed all of the image and font files names to lower-case and changed the folder names to lower case, the only thing I changed in the .xml files were the case of the paths and filenames to the images. (ie. Shade/Media/WhateverFile.png --> shade/media/whateverfile.png). I used the Find function in Notepad ++ to search for ".png". Then just stepped through the .xml files changing the case. On images that occurred a lot throughout a file (ie. MenuItemNF.png). I simply used Notepad ++ replace function to replace all instances of MenuItemNF.png with menuitemnf.png. By doing it this way I ensured I did not miss an image and that I only edited the image file and path names (made sure I didn't touch any of the actual code for functions). This process took quite a while since I had to go through all .XMls in the skin. As for renaming all the images to all lowercase, i did this with a free batch file renamer called SpacetornadoRenamer.

The whole reason for changing all to lowercase was for consistency, because sometimes you referenced the same image using different cases. This caused the reference to the image file in the .xml that didn't Exactly match the filename to not display the .png image in the skin on Linux.

-hogfan
What about the genre posters?

Does linux read genres from the nfo as "Action" or "action"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live/Linux-Friendly Shade in the works...0