• 3(current)
Video playback jerky/stuttery after a few days!
Same problem here except its only reared its ugly head since dharma beta 3. A restart of xbmc sometimes helps, and a restart of the system always does.
Homerboy Wrote:I've messed around with nearly everything I can think of and that has been mentioned here.... video drivers, affinity, latest nightly builds of Dharma. I still get stuttering playback after the machine has been running for 24hrs or so. I can not figure it out at all. Driving me nuts.

Devs: what logs do you need? Do I have to turn them "on" to get them created? I will supply logs immediately.

Ditto to this. I will happily supply logs ASAP.

Also, I've tried toggling Aero; no help for me.
I also have this stuttering problem, but only with SD videos; HD videos are using DXVA and it´s perfect fluid. At first I thought it could be the CPU not being able to cope with the work, but the usage is lower (around 10%) when decoding SD video than when running XBMC interface with Transparecy! skin (around 30%).

I´m using Win7 Ultimate on an Athlon 62 X2 5200+ and ATi HD3200 GPU with Catalyst 10.10. And XBMC is Dharma 2.

I didn´t tried everything suggested here (I couldn´t find new CPU driver nor tested the restart variations), but I discovered something: the stuttering happens with Aero on, and when I turn Aero off there is no more stuttering. That would be the solution if this wouldn´t create another problem: terrible image tearing. I know this is solved by turning vertical sync on, but there is no such option in Catalyst - although the help says so. :S

If anyone knows how can this tearing be solved, I´d appreciate to know! :-)
enoklinger Wrote:I also have this stuttering problem, but only with SD videos; HD videos are using DXVA and it´s perfect fluid. At first I thought it could be the CPU not being able to cope with the work, but the usage is lower (around 10%) when decoding SD video than when running XBMC interface with Transparecy! skin (around 30%).

I´m using Win7 Ultimate on an Athlon 62 X2 5200+ and ATi HD3200 GPU with Catalyst 10.10. And XBMC is Dharma 2.

I didn´t tried everything suggested here (I couldn´t find new CPU driver nor tested the restart variations), but I discovered something: the stuttering happens with Aero on, and when I turn Aero off there is no more stuttering. That would be the solution if this wouldn´t create another problem: terrible image tearing. I know this is solved by turning vertical sync on, but there is no such option in Catalyst - although the help says so. :S

If anyone knows how can this tearing be solved, I´d appreciate to know! :-)
Go to CCC settings Graphics/3D/All/Wait for vertical refresh
enoklinger Wrote:I also have this stuttering problem, but only with SD videos; HD videos are using DXVA and it´s perfect fluid...
Also noticed that it only seems to happen with SD videos, like xvid's and dvd's, at least for me.
Htpc 1: Intel E8400@3GHz : Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2 G33 : Nvidia 9400GT : Antec Fusion V2 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x1080
Htpc 2: Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x108
steelman1991 Wrote:Go to CCC settings Graphics/3D/All/Wait for vertical refresh
Ok, I´ll do it as soon as I get home (I'm at work, right now) and post the result.

Thanx!
I was getting this problem with HD videos, but the problem went away after I updated to Dharma Beta 4.
steelman1991 Wrote:Go to CCC settings Graphics/3D/All/Wait for vertical refresh
No good... Sad

I'll try to downgrade CCC/driver and/or reach AMD's support - after all, it's CCC's help that says vsync is adjustable but the option simply doesn't exist.

Thanx anyway!
hrm. i'm also getting the screen tearing when aero is disabled. it might have something to do with the fact that xbmc by default use a borderless fullscreen window as opposed to true fullscreen. i would disable this 'feature' if my eventghost display settings didn't depend on the nature of the borderless window for some of my dual screen functionality. nvidia control panel can't seem to enable vsync with this type of display for some reason.
Did this issue ever get closed? The thread seems to be describing exactly my issue but never closes with a solution... did I miss something?

I'm running Win7 x64 with 6gb of RAM and AMD 5450 vid... XBMC version 10.0 (not nightly build). Everything is perfect until jerky playback begins. Seems to clear reliably with an exit + restart of XBMC. No Windows restart seems necessary.

My issue seems to be linked to sleeping the computer and resuming but I can't state this 100%. After a couple of days, a wake into XBMC (left running at sleep) gives jerky playback.

Any help?
I also have it (my HTPC is also a 24/7 NAS). I "solved" it with the following batch file:

Code:
@echo off

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq XBMC.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "XBMC.exe" >NUL
if NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "0" goto startxbmc
echo Stopping XBMC...
taskkill /IM xbmc.exe >NUL

:waitkill
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq XBMC.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "XBMC.exe" >NUL
if NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "0" goto startxbmc
echo Waiting for XBMC termination...
ping -n 2 localhost >NUL
goto waitkill

:startxbmc
echo Starting XBMC...
cd /D "%ProgramFiles%\XBMC"
start XBMC.exe

I run it every night at 5am when everyone is sleeping so XBMC is restarted once every 24 hours.
kartman_canada Wrote:Did this issue ever get closed? The thread seems to be describing exactly my issue but never closes with a solution... did I miss something?

I'm running Win7 x64 with 6gb of RAM and AMD 5450 vid... XBMC version 10.0 (not nightly build). Everything is perfect until jerky playback begins. Seems to clear reliably with an exit + restart of XBMC. No Windows restart seems necessary.

My issue seems to be linked to sleeping the computer and resuming but I can't state this 100%. After a couple of days, a wake into XBMC (left running at sleep) gives jerky playback.

Any help?

There are other threads about this issue... I updated to 10.1 and it continues... so close... I want sooooo badly to dump my PS3 as a media playback device and promote my Zino HD with XMBC. if this shuddering issue could be licked, this combo would be king.

good idea by previous poster but my HTPC isn't on 24/7... thanx.

I've yet to see any developer comment but there does appear to be an issue logged. Any dev that reads this... I'm happy to test and submit any log info that might help.
Kartman - I have a suggestion for you, but have not tried this myself yet... I will later tonight.

I had an issue were the HDMI Audio would not work upon waking (Windows 7, XBMC 10.1), and using Task Scheduler was able to execute a program (HDMION.exe) upon wakeup... something I was not aware was even possible.

I see no reason why we couldn't just substitute a11599's batch file as the executed file... thus making XBMC shutdown and restart upon waking the PC.

The guide I used was here: http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc/loss-of-sign...m-standby/
(You can skip the section about running on startup)

If that does not clear the stutter/judder, then I may alter the script to just reboot the PC upon waking.
sdsnyr94 Wrote:I see no reason why we couldn't just substitute a11599's batch file as the executed file... thus making XBMC shutdown and restart upon waking the PC.

How'd you make out? I got the script running manually (i.e. test) and all is fine but I can't seem to get my scheduled task to execute the script on a wake from sleep. Need to look at this some more tonight.

Concept is sound... I'd still like to see the real issue addressed. Sad

EDIT: Correction... I can't get Task Scheduler to execute the BAT file correctly, it seems. The event is in the history and says completed successfully after a wake from sleep. BUt, the batch didn't really run and therefore XBMC didn't restart. Grrrr... searching gave some hints (seems I'm not alone with this issue) but none of the fixes worked. Anybody have more success or any suggestions?
kartman_canada Wrote:How'd you make out? I got the script running manually (i.e. test) and all is fine but I can't seem to get my scheduled task to execute the script on a wake from sleep. Need to look at this some more tonight.

Concept is sound... I'd still like to see the real issue addressed. Sad

EDIT: Correction... I can't get Task Scheduler to execute the BAT file correctly, it seems. The event is in the history and says completed successfully after a wake from sleep. BUt, the batch didn't really run and therefore XBMC didn't restart. Grrrr... searching gave some hints (seems I'm not alone with this issue) but none of the fixes worked. Anybody have more success or any suggestions?

This idea was also suggested in this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=757...tcount=110

As far as your script not working, change "taskkill /IM xbmc.exe >NUL" to "taskkill /F /IM xbmc.exe > NUL".

I needed the /F to force the program closed.... after that everything has worked. Hard to tell if it has really helped the issue, as it has been only a couple of days, but so far so good. Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback jerky/stuttery after a few days!2