XBMC configurability
Hi!

I didnt find the right answers to my planned setup, so i want to ask the

I want to use XBMC on a PC in a Café, it's main functions should be playing of Radio Streams and Music from the Library. I Know that it does this all out of the box but can it be configured to do ONLY these things? I dont need any of the video or picture features(maybe a slideshow of pictures as screensaver, but OSX can do that already...)
The target is to create in interface that waiters can use fast and without any knowledge, only 2 main menu entries, music and radio, the music should have some kind of auto DJ which selects songs based on rating and/or playcount.
It should also work via touch screen, as most of the screen i know work as normal mouse this shouldnt be a problem..

The Hardware I'm going to use:
Either my old Mac Mini G4 (if it's fast enough) or a new small minipc
with touchscreen

I'm not asking for the ready solution here, but maybe some other users already needed similar setup and have some links, ideas, etc
I spent a lot of time looking for a software which does only that, the only ones i found are expensive and bundled with hardware, most of them even give you the songs on it and charge for it, nothing for an alternative café which plays mostly blues/jazz...

so thanks for any help or input :-)
Using profiles ?
I would start with the XBMC skin Transparency. It allows you to edit the main menu via its settings - no xml editing required. You can turn items on and off and have up to three custom menu items of your very own. In this way you can have a home menu consisting of "Music" and a custom menu item called "Radio".
@linuxlemmel
the profiles do almost what i want, with the skin tip from @Johnnyfive i think i will be a lot closer to what i want, thanks!!

only thing left is the auto DJ and radio browsing, didnt find a solution yet, will keep searching in the plugins...
Honestly, it sounds like for what you want, you should just get a basic PC and install iTunes onto it. As much as I hate iTunes, I think it would likely be perfect for you. It can play internet radio, and the music library is easy enough to navigate. I haven't used the DJ features of it, but I've heard that it works pretty well. And any idiot can work iTunes, so that shouldn't be an issue.
@YodaEXE

I used iTunes at first, the radio and music playing worked pretty well, but the UI isnt really meant for people who dont use the computer often (40+).

Thats what i like most on XBMC, Fullscreen, streamlined UI, nothing else possible/seeable besides the playing of music, usable via touchscreen.

Downside: didnt find autoDj yet, if i find time i'll look into plugin writing, cant be that difficult
we sorta have one built-in. it's called 'party mode'. fully tweakable using smart playlists.
@spiff

thanks, totally overlooked!

will try it out the next days, but it seems like a good choice

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC configurability0