No DXVA option
I've been using MediaPortal for a few years now, but HD videos started stuttering, so I thought I'd give XBMC a try since I like the way it handles music.
I downloaded Darhma Beta 2 from the home page, but when I went into the Settings>Video>Playback, there's no option for DXVA. I tried Beta 1, but it's the same thing.
I'm beginning to think perhaps it's my video card, an Asus EN8600GT Silent, since videos that never stuttered before also stutter with MP, even though they play fine with Media Player Classic. So I tried the mobo's on-board video, but I get the Windows splash screen & then the screen goes black.
I don't know whether it's my system screwing up, or if I'm missing something.
My system specs are
Asus M3A78-CM mobo
AMD 9950 quad-core cpu
3gb RAM
Asus EN8600GT Silent VC
Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks for any help.
Main branch of XBMC only supports DXVA2 (vista/win7). You will need to use the dsplayer branch for DXVA1 (XP).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70436
Thanks for that. I would never have realized.
I've been thinking of upgrading to Win7 anyways, so this gives me the push I needed.
Good plan. I can't comprehend why anyone would still use XP these days, especially on a rig like yours. XP won't properly utilize that quad core. I also can't comprehend using an 8600GT with a quad core, but that's the gamer in me crying Big Grin
Thanks for the answers, I was having same problem... So i'll upgrade to Win7
YodaEXE Wrote:Good plan. I can't comprehend why anyone would still use XP these days, especially on a rig like yours. XP won't properly utilize that quad core. I also can't comprehend using an 8600GT with a quad core, but that's the gamer in me crying Big Grin

The VC was from my previous HTPC. Would this mobo's on-board graphics be better? The manual says it's ATI RV610 based with up to 256mb of shared memory. It then says that to play back BluRay, the system config should be above the shared memory config.
Topher Wrote:The VC was from my previous HTPC. Would this mobo's on-board graphics be better? The manual says it's ATI RV610 based with up to 256mb of shared memory. It then says that to play back BluRay, the system config should be above the shared memory config.

I think the 8600GT will support DXVA2 so it should be fine with XBMC. I would use the 8600GT and only switch video cards if you run into problems.

I'd guess YodaEXE's point is that the video card is less powerful than the CPU and would be a bottleneck if you play the most demanding games. However unless you want to play those games this isn't an issue. I'd guess from the name that it's a fanless video card, and this is good for a media PC where you don't want noise from the PC intruding.

JR
No need to get a new VC, I have an 8600M GT and it plays 1080p with DVXA2 enabled with out a problem. It plays the killa sample without really breaking a sweat either and that's a tough sample to get playing properly.
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No DXVA option0