apple tv vs xbox question
How does apple tv match up to xbox for streaming movies in xbmc. i am currently using a original xbox but would like to use the full capabilities of my 46" lcd TV. I am using a harmony 880 remote.

ThanksBig Grin
Apple TV does 720p with ATV but with Broadcom Crystal HD installed it does 1080p. As far as I can tell you need to use XBMC Live to get 1080p output.

Xbox is ancient and cannot match the Apple TV since it can't do even 720p nor does it have HDMI
Xbox can do 720p with correctly encoded video... on SD the xbox bang for buck will absolutly trouser everthing...

My experince with ATV was a while ago and it had a clunky feeling compaired to Xbox as the Xbox was 7 years more developed and waaay smoother.. but I would imagine the ATV has been ironed out by now... without Crystal HD the ATV wouldnt be a big enough step for me.

What has HDMI got to do with it? all HDMI did was introduce DRM!
Geeba Wrote:Xbox can do 720p with correctly encoded video... on SD the xbox bang for buck will absolutly trouser everthing...

My experince with ATV was a while ago and it had a clunky feeling compaired to Xbox as the Xbox was 7 years more developed and waaay smoother.. but I would imagine the ATV has been ironed out by now... without Crystal HD the ATV wouldnt be a big enough step for me.

What has HDMI got to do with it? all HDMI did was introduce DRM!

Thanks Geeba, This is what I was wondering. I can do 720p just fine and the only reson for HDMI is if I was able to get 1080p to work and I understand you need to buy the $50 chip. I guess I will stay with my ancient XBOX.

Thanks
If you want an upgrade from an Xbox get a Revo.....

Xbox did XVID encoded OAR movies if you took care of the limits of the GPU. It was OK at the time.
Nowadays people (at least me) want H.264/VC1 at high bitrates, 1080p and 1:1 pixel mapping. None of which is possible with Xbox and component.
I've got several ASRock ION's but they are so noisy. I bought an Apple TV yesterday to play with. It's dead silent. Now I just have to get the Broadcom chip to proceed Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
apple tv vs xbox question0