Refurbished Acer Revo, Foxconn 330i, or save for a custom build??
I'm getting dangerously close to having enough money to get myself a basic ION system! I've narrowed it down to these three choices:

Acer Revo: Seems to be the unofficial ION box for XBMC. Lots of documentation and ease of setup.

I've never purchased any PCs refurbished, but the Revo is $270 with 2g of ram and a standard HD. It also has S/PDIF. (No need to purchase extras until I upgrade to SSD!)

Foxconn 330i: Can be purchased brand new with memory and HD for the same price as a Revo, or $330 total with SSD. Seems harder to configure and would need a bios update to have quieter fans. There also isn't a S/PDIF, but there is HDMI. Is it possible to get HD video and 5.1 sound through just one HDMI port?

There's also the option of building a custom machine that will cost more. It sounds like there's a few posts where people were trying to future proof their machines by leaving room for a PCI-e card. Is there any particular reason for this? Does it have to do with PVR or tv tuners for future versions of XBMC?

I'm hoping to hear people's personal experience with their builds. As much as I'd love to splurge on a machine now, I don't want to make costly mistakes in the future. Not much wiggle room for a college student. =/
If you are looking on Renovate, wait for the earlier models. I just picked up a AR3610-U9022 for $186. It's a scratch and dent but who cares for vesa mount? The smaller HDD isn't an issue especially if its going to be replaced w/ a SSD. They usually only get a few of these in at a time so you gotta be quick.
Ninjahblu Wrote:It sounds like there's a few posts where people were trying to future proof their machines by leaving room for a PCI-e card. Is there any particular reason for this? Does it have to do with PVR or tv tuners for future versions of XBMC?

Partially for TV tuners, partially to be able to use a better GPU one day for 3D movies.

I went down this path....

Ninjahblu Wrote:Foxconn 330i: Can be purchased brand new with memory and HD for the same price as a Revo, or $330 total with SSD. Seems harder to configure and would need a bios update to have quieter fans. There also isn't a S/PDIF, but there is HDMI. Is it possible to get HD video and 5.1 sound through just one HDMI port?

It's definitely possible, I do it from an HD-DVD player.

I'm pretty sure I've read that HDMI allows enough bandwidth for uncompressed multichannel audio, and that SPDIF only has enough for uncompressed stereo or compressed 5.1 (maybe 7.1?). Makes sense given the relative age of the two interfaces.
Thanks Dan! I've seen a lot of others who used only used HDMI for video & audio with much success, but it was a noobish question I had stuck in my head.

I am using Revonate for the cheaper REVOs. I heard most people did fine with the vendor as long it's not a refurb monitor. It sounds like they run promotions for free shipping often as well.

@Poofy: You make a good point about 3D. As much as it pains me, I just might hold off until Christmas when our (supposed) bonuses arrive from work. That way I can make a build that will be able to support a stronger GPU if/when needed. The wait is killing me though, I have a SNAP server NAS just waiting to be tinkered with!
Ninjahblu Wrote:Foxconn 330i: Can be purchased brand new with memory and HD for the same price as a Revo, or $330 total with SSD. Seems harder to configure and would need a bios update to have quieter fans. There also isn't a S/PDIF, but there is HDMI. Is it possible to get HD video and 5.1 sound through just one HDMI port?

BIOS update is already available, unit is now really quiet when watching 1080p movies. not harder to configure (except for wifi). SPDIF possible with adapter. sure you get video&audio through HDMI.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refurbished Acer Revo, Foxconn 330i, or save for a custom build??0