[LINUX] XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)?
pretty sure if va-api is enabled in linux with said gpu it will work in xbmc, we have va-api enabled afaik and the point of the library is that we should not need to enable it specifically for a certain gpu.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
But is there a plan to have Maverick PPA with xbmc linked against libva?
I have been using the PPA with Maverick beta for some time, just changed the sources.list file to make it look on the PPA Lucid packages instead of trying to get Maverick ones.
Is it usually recommended to use i386 over AMD64 distribution for XBMC purposes?
nowadays xbmc should work equally good with x64 as a base, however we still have potential thread issues on x64 afaik. It is unlikely but could in theory crash xbmc.

Overall x64 is very stable but for a htpc I would still probably recommend x86 since its just a little bit more tested and you don't benefit anything specific when going x64 (from xbmc's perspective).
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I did a test install today .... I found a heavy bug inside ubuntu 10.10 with nvidia drivers ... I can only advise not to install version 260 of the nvidia driver from Ubuntu 10.10 ....
After the installation you have no speed ... your graphics is slow as a CGA system...
If found a solution I report back .... ( I made a acronis image and I go back to 10.04)
Hi, yesterday i install maverick full desktop + compiled xbmc. I add a session in /usr/share/xsession to have autologin and run xbmc(tried xbmc, xbmc --standalone). When i run xbmc in gnome i have navigation sound but if i run xbmc from autologin there is no navigation sound(analog,optical, hdmi not tested). Somebody knows what's wrong?
Just upgraded from 9.10 to maverick, via 10.04 LTS on my Revo. Had to redo the README.ubuntu aptitude line, but after that it compiled right up. I had problems with the mceusb module working with my cheapo IR receiver. I installed the lirc-modules-source package (or whatever it's called) and blacklisted mceusb in favor of lirc_mceusb and all works as expected.

My turtle beach audio advantage micro continues to pump out optical with no problems at all. VDPAU continues to work as expected. No real issues to note.
Do you still get the brief login prompt flash before XBMC loads on 10.10 like what happens on 10.04 currently?
Just out of curiosity, what benefit is there for XBMC to run on top of Maverick rather than Lucid? I just recently upgraded to Lucid and have no plans to update to Maverick anytime soon. It seems Lucid finally became stable, just before Maverick showed up. I totally skipped Karmic altogether and went from Jaunty minimal install to Lucid minimal with a clean mini install (at the same time I switched from stable XBMC to the SVN repo as I like to stay cutting edge and help with reporting bugs)

-hogfan
absolutely nothing unless you need the newer drivers etc it provides.
The nvidia drivers bundled with maverick have some pretty major issues with VDPAU, too, where they consume 1GB of swap for some reason. I actually don't have any problems in XBMC, but mplayer can't create a VDPAU surface. Pretty annoying, since I rely on external mplayer to play WMV files, since XBMC still can't do it.

The x-swat and nvidia-ppa sites aren't updated for maverick yet, so I'd have to install the updated drivers directly from nvidia, and I just don't want to go to the trouble of skipping easy APT installs/upgrades. Luckily I'm not running an ION, I have a real HTPC, so I can do everything in software.
DVDs are not working in Lucid, they work in Maverick.
Any idea one where to get the required packages?

running Maverick with Lucid PPA for xbmc

xbmc@ORAC:~/drivers$ sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc-live : Depends: policykit but it is not installable
Depends: mkpasswd but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
linuxluemmel Wrote:I did a test install today .... I found a heavy bug inside ubuntu 10.10 with nvidia drivers ... I can only advise not to install version 260 of the nvidia driver from Ubuntu 10.10 ....
After the installation you have no speed ... your graphics is slow as a CGA system...
If found a solution I report back .... ( I made a acronis image and I go back to 10.04)

Not true, at least not for me man.
Running Maverick 64bit with nvidia-current from official repo, 260.
Everything is just fine over here. No problems at all.

boba

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)?0