Synchronize thumbnail cache
Does anyone know of any side effects if I were to use a third-party utility to synchronize the contents of the thumbnail cache across all three of my XBMC machines?

My database is on a SQL server, but to get updated thumbnails I end up having to refresh videos often. I think synchronizing the cache would help.
As long as all you source's use the same drive letters and locations and the database files are identical, then it will work, but if your source's use different names and drive letters etc then the links in the database to the thumbs will be incorrect. just set your library's to background update or update on startup or even use the library update timer addon which updates at specific times as specified. (i.e. if you know you will be watching something between 9pm-9.30pm every evening, set it to update at 9.10pm. that way you'll never notice the update.
All three of mine use a centrally stored MySQL database and the sources are SMB:// so they are the same.

Problem with a library update is this...

I add a new movie to a source location. I've already added fanart and the poster, etc. I do a database update on one XBMC box and it adds it and grabs the art and everything.

Since they all share a database, they now all have the movie in their library. However, the second and third don't have the poster, etc, unless I manually refresh the new movie on each of them.
then in that case, simply copying you thumbs as suggested should work with out issue. It may be worth backing up you thumb cashe's first so you can return to your current state if anything does go wrong.

i dont currently use the central network database feature yet, but doesn't that defeat the point if it doesn't create a central thumb database also as you would still need to update library on every instance of xbmc.
It does offer some value... it centrally maintains a watched/unwatched state, and playcounts/ratings for music, and resume points. I can stop a movie in one room and resume from the same point in another.

The watched/unwatched information is very important to me, too, for television episodes.
thejack,

If I may make a suggestion..have you considered using symlinks to keep your thumbnails synced to each other?
I started out using one of the third party utilities and kept getting popups that I was using it too much, so I switched to using a symlink and it is just as good without all of the hassle of worrying about buying a program or updating, etc and is really easy to do.

Mark
Have you considered mounting your thumbnails dir to a network source. Thats what i do with my machines and it works great.
Mounting to a network source would be great, but I'm running it on Windows 7 and not sure how to mount a network source to a subdirectory.

Is there a way to tell my installation to store the thumbnail cache in a different location?
thaJack Wrote:Mounting to a network source would be great, but I'm running it on Windows 7 and not sure how to mount a network source to a subdirectory.

Is there a way to tell my installation to store the thumbnail cache in a different location?

I think you can use symlinks in windows as well might be worth a shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link
Use symlink for win computers, google will help u there.
For linux, an search in the forum could give you something like this, where the problem has been solved http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=605915&postcount=2

Cheers
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Symlinks in Windows seems to have worked. Copied the Thumbnail cache to a network share and then created symlinks on each XBMC client that pointed to that location. Thanks.
thaJack Wrote:Symlinks in Windows seems to have worked. Copied the Thumbnail cache to a network share and then created symlinks on each XBMC client that pointed to that location. Thanks.

Hi,

You seem to have solved the exact issue i am trying to get solved at this time as well. Just installed the MySQL and is now updating it...
However, can you share any example on how you did the symlinks and also how to maintain them, i.e. how do they stay "alive" between reboots (or is that by default for symlinks?)

Sorry for possibly stupid questions but you seem to have the perfect solution to my issue. I am running 5 XBMC's and thsi MySQL approach seem to be perfect but i would, as you, try and avoid doing updates for every single update to the library on all five of them...
How was your speed with this approach? I've been debating it but I've heard in other posts that it can severely drag down XBMC.

At the moment I use the mysql database on the network and Windows Live Mesh to sync the thumbnails folder between all machines in real time. It mostly works but if you update the library on one machine and then go to another machine before the sync finishes you get blank thumbnails which then overwrite the real ones Sad It hasn't happened often, but just enough to be really annoying.
Speed is just fine. What I did (in Windows) was to go to the UserData folder and delete the "thumbnails" folder (you can make a copy of it to your shared folder in the central location first if you want, otherwise the thumbnails should just recreate).

You should have a shared location that the account running XBMC can access and write to from each of your XBMC installations.

from the command prompt (no way to do this in GUI) do "mklink /d Thumbnails \\server\share"

It will create what looks like a folder called "thumbnails" but it will actually be a link to the shared folder. It'll have a different folder icon in Windows. It should stay after each reboot.
Smile 
Thanks for the explanation and example. Works perfect! Again, many, many thanks. Now I just have to trim my database including those Music videos... Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synchronize thumbnail cache0