• 9(current)
Got my foxconn nt 330i, now what?
I have one of these I use an older nvidia driver and everything is good looks wise
720p plasma tv.

Linux has a program for showing the key you pressed just adjust the keymap file and the back button will work, I am at work but I will ask you for some info when I get home and help you with that.

I have hdmi sound working probably due to the older nvidia driver. follow the link in this post for the easiest way to go back to the older driver.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85806&highlight=nvidia

I will check my audio settings to confirm them. I had a problem with boxee not having hdmi sound on you tube videos and had to use an asound.conf file then it worked and nothing else broke.

Craig
I play my mythtv recordings no problem with both myth and xbmc

hdpvr recordings set @ 720p

The only thing I can think of that is different is my nvidia driver.

The install is a mythbuntu 10.10 that I have added xbmc too, I actually netboot it.

Craig
iscraigh Wrote:I have one of these I use an older nvidia driver and everything is good looks wise
720p plasma tv.

Linux has a program for showing the key you pressed just adjust the keymap file and the back button will work, I am at work but I will ask you for some info when I get home and help you with that.

I have hdmi sound working probably due to the older nvidia driver. follow the link in this post for the easiest way to go back to the older driver.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85806&highlight=nvidia

I will check my audio settings to confirm them. I had a problem with boxee not having hdmi sound on you tube videos and had to use an asound.conf file then it worked and nothing else broke.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Just to warn you, I am a windows guy and am new to most things linux, please keep explanations to a 3rd grade level Smile I'll have my PC at work tomorrow so I should be able to devote some time to it.
Use xev to show the keypresses

open a terminal type xev

then press your escape key, if linux recognizes the keypress it will show you what key it is.

Let me know what you find, next step will be changing the keymappings.

Just follow the directions for the nvidia driver although I did get sound over hdmi working with the new driver on another machine just don't remember how.

Craig
before you switch the nvidia drivers I had a look @ the machine I have with standard 10.10 drivers and hdmi audio working. I don't have xbmc on it, just mythtv but try this.

Open the mixer program (under multimedia) Your mixer may be different if you have a full ubuntu install.
Go to the switches tab or look for things titled iec958
In my mixer I had to add switches and pick iec958 switches.

Once you find/add them tick/unmute iec958 and iec958 -1

Craig
@iscraigh
Quote:I play my mythtv recordings no problem with both myth and xbmc

That's because your plasma's 720p I think. @1080p it drops frames like crazy.

Nice to hear it's working out for ya!Big Grin
steve1977 Wrote:Using all different kinds of 1080p and none plays well. Worse than my ATV. Please see my XBMC settings below. Advice appreciated:

Render method - auto-detect
Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - on
Adjust display refresh rate to match videos - off
Sync playback to display - off
A/V sync method - greyed out
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - none
Display 4:3 videos as - normal
Video post-processing - disabled
Activate teletext - on

Just realized that some 1080p files are actually playing fine, while others are not. So, my guess is that it is not directly related to the NVIDIA driver. Can someone remind me how I can take a snippet of the movie file and can anyone can have a look why it is not working?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
iscraigh Wrote:before you switch the nvidia drivers I had a look @ the machine I have with standard 10.10 drivers and hdmi audio working. I don't have xbmc on it, just mythtv but try this.

Open the mixer program (under multimedia) Your mixer may be different if you have a full ubuntu install.
Go to the switches tab or look for things titled iec958
In my mixer I had to add switches and pick iec958 switches.

Once you find/add them tick/unmute iec958 and iec958 -1

Craig

I'm anxious to see if this works on a new Ubuntu build, I've been sick with the flu and haven't been able to touch my netbox since Wednesday night. Sad

I'm curious about one thing: I did my Ubuntu install using this guide:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

Given that at least one fact is outdated on the wiki (not complaining!), I am wondering about the Nvidia 185 driver they mention for the install. Is that the most recent one available now? Also, how can I tell? Moving from a Windows environment, I am somewhat confused about the use of standard versus restricted drivers and where to even look for new ones.
steve1977 Wrote:Just realized that some 1080p files are actually playing fine, while others are not. So, my guess is that it is not directly related to the NVIDIA driver. Can someone remind me how I can take a snippet of the movie file and can anyone can have a look why it is not working?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Quick update - I have tested these 1080p files (which don't work on my Foxconn 330i) on a mid-2009 Macmini as well as the latest iMac. Both play the file without any issues.

I also tried the file on my ATV with CrystalHD and it plays it even worse than my Foxconn. Any thoughts whether the Foxconn HTPC is just not powerful enough or any other thing I can try out?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Hi!

I 'am thinking of buying this "box". I saw an offer for about 140EUROs and I already have 2.5 HDD and 1 GB ram(from old laptop). My Question is this:

Will it play play smoothly 1080p content? Not recordings mythtv. etc. Just normal mkv movies 1080p at 24Hz. In windows 7 or live.

Thanks!
you will have to use restricted drivers. The non restricted drivers are open source reverse engineered and don't yet support vdpau for acceleration. On my foxconn I am running older drivers because the netboot image I use has to support another machine that will not work with the latest drivers. On my mythbackend I use the latest drivers and sound works fine with the tweaks I did.
With linux you do need to work a bit with the command line, if you can ssh into the box from your windows machine then you can copy and paste commands.

Download a program called putty it is an ssh client for windows.

Craig
sstavross Wrote:I 'am thinking of buying this "box". I saw an offer for about 140EUROs and I already have 2.5 HDD and 1 GB ram(from old laptop). My Question is this:

Will it play play smoothly 1080p content? Not recordings mythtv. etc. Just normal mkv movies 1080p at 24Hz. In windows 7 or live.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this question as well. For me, on Windows 7 I only get around half of my 1080p MKVs to work (and don't have mythtv). Anyone more successful?
handonam Wrote:which nvidia driver are you using right now?

I am using the nvidia drivers

* Nvidia 3D Vision Driver 266.35
* Nvidia Drivers 1.7
* Nvidia Graphics Driver 266.35
* Nvidia HD Audio Driver 1.1.13.1

Can anyone confirm that these are the right ones. Still cannot get all of my 1080p movies to play.

Thanks!
Any thoughts?
I have no idea what's wrong with your configs, all my 1080p mkv content played smooth either with win7 or XBMCbuntu right from the start.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got my foxconn nt 330i, now what?0