Adding AMT and Hulu Desktop to NIGHT Skin
I found this thread and being somewhat of a noob wanted to verify if this would work in the Night Skin also - or are there differences I need to adjust for?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83261

I see in the home.xml file that there is an (apparently) user configurable item 12 but 13 and 14 are used for Shutdown & Weather respectively...so not sure how to approach this. Not sure how the script fits in either...but will ask the author on the above thread.

I currently have XBMC and Hulu Desktop running at the same time and use Event Ghost to toggle between them but looking for a more WAF friendly approach.

Also - may try this with Boxee also, somewhat redundant with the local TV show content, but the family lives on the streaming TV content not found in XBMC - anybody know of a way to Start Boxee and go straight to the "My TV Shows" screen? I'm going to post something on the Boxee forums also.

Thanks!
Yes whats in that thread in doable in pretty much all skins....

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
my first post here but for good reason, your setup is exactly what i want lol, thanks for this great skin, its what made me switch as a long term boxee user, still learning xbmc but saw NIGHT on youtube and had to have it.
mcborzu Wrote:Yes whats in that thread in doable in pretty much all skins....

Which xml file should I be editing? Seems like if I edit the Home.XML file in the skin folder...it will be overwritten by a new version - correct? Would it be preferable (better) to add these main/home menu items in via the custom items for the home menu in the skin settings?

In another thread I also saw a reference to editing some other xml file...something that started with "includes..." - it was something similar (end result) so confused.

Ultimately I do want to have the background picture change when you "scroll" to that option...like the user has done in the post I references - so not sure if that is the driving reason for editing home.xml

Thanks for the pointers...
What I think that you are trying to accomplish, you can do without changing any xmls. Night provides a way to add a custom favorite for just about anything. What I did was go to this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148 and follow the instructions to download and install the Hulu plugin. Once the addon is installed then go to Videos on the Home screen and select Video Addons and then Hulu. Using the context menu (usually C on the keyboard) and set Hulu to Favorites. Once Hulu is set to favorites then you can create a custom favorite in custom home options. See this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83279 if your favorites don't show up.

I found the background using google and applied a dark gradient using photoshop. Hope this helps.
Redd Wrote:What I think that you are trying to accomplish, you can do without changing any xmls. Night provides a way to add a custom favorite for just about anything. What I did was go to this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148 and follow the instructions to download and install the Hulu plugin. Once the addon is installed then go to Videos on the Home screen and select Video Addons and then Hulu. Using the context menu (usually C on the keyboard) and set Hulu to Favorites. Once Hulu is set to favorites then you can create a custom favorite in custom home options. See this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83279 if your favorites don't show up.

Thanks - I'm using the Custom Home Menu items and Fave approach now - but just figured out (last night) that the background pic CAN be changed on a separate screen in the SKIN settings - so all set there.

As for Hulu - thanks for the info - I skimmed the thread and sounds like it's got issues of various sorts getting it to work as a plug-in/add-on. I'm running Hulu Desktop w/o any issues so on first read, seems like the add-on may not be the way to go currently?

I'm just looking for a nice clean way to transition when I select Hulu or Boxee from the XBMC menu - see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55776&page=3

When I have more time I'll read the thread on the add-on in depth and see if it might work - From the screenshots - does that mean are you using it?
Yes I am using the addon for Hulu. I don't seem to be having any issues with it. Using the addon allows you to have Hulu "native" to XBMC rather than running two different programs.
Redd Wrote:Yes I am using the addon for Hulu. I don't seem to be having any issues with it. Using the addon allows you to have Hulu "native" to XBMC rather than running two different programs.

Thanks - I'll give it a shot when I get a chance - I'm assuming it's the full blown Hulu - not Hulu Desktop right? Any ideas on running Boxee the same way ;-)

The family uses that a lot since the interface is so simple.
It is the full blown Hulu in that you get the same menus such as popular and alphabetical listings but you are basically just pulling the streams from Hulu so you don't have to deal with a video starting every time you start up Hulu desktop. As for Boxee, I'm sure it is possible but since Boxee is built on XBMC code, but wouldn't that be launching a media center from a media center? I say go for it because this is all about you making exactly what you want for you and your family. Nod
Redd Wrote:It is the full blown Hulu in that you get the same menus such as popular and alphabetical listings but you are basically just pulling the streams from Hulu so you don't have to deal with a video starting every time you start up Hulu desktop. As for Boxee, I'm sure it is possible but since Boxee is built on XBMC code, but wouldn't that be launching a media center from a media center? I say go for it because this is all about you making exactly what you want for you and your family. Nod

Redd - way too cool! Thanks for pointing me to this thread: Coolest way to Integrate Hulu, CBS and others INTO XBMC - Beats the pants off Hulu Desktop

Works like a charm - had a few issues with content with the CBS Add-On so posted on the above thread. Sounds like Hulu may be changing something and we'll be locked out potentially?? Hope somebody steps up to help BlueCop. Given what these Add-Ons can do - no real need for Boxee then...have to play around with adding shows to Favorites so I don't have to browse through 1458 shows Wink

Thanks Again!
Next on my list is to bump up custom Home and submenus so you can tuck those under the submenu in the future if you don't want to over populate Home...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
mcborzu Wrote:Next on my list is to bump up custom Home and submenus so you can tuck those under the submenu in the future if you don't want to over populate Home...

You must have been reading my mind. That would be the icing on the proverbial cake. Cool...I need to catchup on where Night is at wrt to other enhancements.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding AMT and Hulu Desktop to NIGHT Skin0