[REQUEST] ESPN3 Video Plugin or Script?
Lightbulb 
This would be a great plugin for a "skilled python coder" to develop and would get a ton of use. For those of you who don't know, ESPN3 is ESPN's broadband channel that streams live sporting events to your PC. Registration at the site is free and it should work on all platforms since it currently uses Flash video rather than something like Netflix and the evil MS Silverlight. Looking at the generalities of it, I don't see any up-front roadblocks. Any thoughts on this from the video plugin developers here?

-hogfan
yes would love a espn3 plugin very much!
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
I'd enjoy such a plugin too (especially before next World Cup!), but one word of warning / discouragement. ESPN3 is unlike many other sites in that it is limited to select partner ISP's. Thus the utility of a plugin may be even more limited then with other geographically restricted services.

Plus, from a "freedom of the internet" perspective, denying parts of it to some ISP's is wrong IMHO. But, like I said, I'd use the plugin, so I'm a hypocrite.
I think this has a lot to do with the ISPs ability to provide the necessary bandwidth to customers to allow for quality streaming.

-hogfan
Interesting comment Hogfan. I'd agree that'd be a good reason. But it doesn't seem to be the case. ESPN licenses it to affiliates, who pay a fee for it. They deny it to (e.g.) gov't labs with quite fast connections.

Cheers!
ESPN3's ISP coverage is still pretty good and dont think that should limit development of a huge plugin. Theres all kinds of quirky plugins that service much smaller populations.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
actually, espn3 allows for remote access with a login (so someone whose home isp licenses espn3 can still watch it when they are temporarily on an isp that doesn't license espn3).

and I believe they allow multiple concurrent logins from different computers. I don't want to say it out loud as it is probably not allowed, but sharing is caring if you know what I mean Wink
@ transcender. Yes, I agree - there are plugins that target smaller niches. Like I said in my OP, I'd use it. Just wanted to point out the situation in case it matters to a potential developer.

@ aptalca. Great point + I agree. Just learned that you can do this.
This is not significantly different than Hulu being US only, etc. My college team has already had a game available exclusively on ESPN3 this year. It falls into the necessary evil category.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] ESPN3 Video Plugin or Script?1