Buffering of streams.
I'm very pleased with XBMC so far. Running svn.34845 (as of today) with Alaska revisited on an old AMD Athlon XP based desktop with Nvidia 4200Ti graphics card (Thus covering the hardware). The OS is Fedora 13, running Openbox as the WM. Everything works fine, except streamed content from the net. I've installed the Youtube, TED Talks and XOT plugins to stream web-based content and while the plugins appear to work fine, both the TED and XOT ones seem to spend a lot of time paused while "Buffering". Both sites work fine when played from a browser on a computer on the same network. The HTPC is connected via Cat 5 directly to the router and the same sites will play more or less OK from a laptop connected only via wifi.

Any suggestions. I can't find any buffering options in XBMC so I don't see a way of pushing up the buffer size. I'd be more than happy for it to buffer the entire show before playing if that's what it took.

Jon
I second this one, I have the same issue. Anyone with a solution?
I also want to know if something like being able to increase buffer size is in the works. As is, it very very very frustrating for me to watch 1080p youtube streams without it buffering every few seconds. At least make it so that pausing keeps the buffer going...
There is an option to change the buffer size (advancedsettings.xml), I'm not sure how to determine how well it works, it seems to a negative effect for example on rtmp encrypted streams.
gott_sei_dank Wrote:There is an option to change the buffer size (advancedsettings.xml), I'm not sure how to determine how well it works, it seems to a negative effect for example on rtmp encrypted streams.

If you are talking about cachemembuffersize, I have tried to set it to 20MB, 50MB, and 100MB (in bytes), but it does not seem to work.
craziplaya21 Wrote:If you are talking about cachemembuffersize, I have tried to set it to 20MB, 50MB, and 100MB (in bytes), but it does not seem to work.

Yeah that is what I was talking about and what I meant by trying to determine how well it works because it doesn't seem to do anything, i.e what if any information should we be looking for in a debug log.
JonSenior Wrote:the TED and XOT ones seem to spend a lot of time paused while "Buffering". Both sites work fine when played from a browser

I did some more researching, and it looks like my internet connection is not up to the video rate. TED talks available on their website are in different format (FLV) than the ones on xbmc (MP4). Although flv talks play fine on my computer, opening the same talk in browser, with the link xbmc uses it keeps buffering too, which makes me think that (at least TED) issue is not with xbmc, but with my wan speed. Even if you check the video rate while playing (pressing o key), you can see, that the video rate is around 1-1.5MBit, which is 5 times more than the FLV rates on their website.

Sample ted talk in mp4 format: http://www.ted.com/talks/download/video/10450/talk/1036
But that's why it is supposed to buffer. Most streaming video players seem to adjust their buffer size according to the current download stream. If its going slowly, then it buffers longer. But XBMC doesn't seem to have that level of smarts, it just assumes we all have unencumbered cable lines. I'd like to see it be able to adjust that buffer size as needed for the current speed, not to mention giving us the option to use a smaller video size.

That's assuming that its XBMC's fault and not the individual plugins. But since they all seem to suffer the same way, I'm guessing its XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering of streams.0