Webcam USB drivers/Webcam Chat
Before you guys bring down the "that's not what XBMC is meant for" hammer, hear me out....

- Xbox Media Center is all about MEDIA. (weather too?)
- Using 1 box/computer/xbox/device to handle all your media/media streaming needs

Webcam is the YOU media, or the OTHER PERSON media. It's video.

Yes, you can stream a webcam from your network, and that means the webcam must be hooked up to another computer. Why would u want to do that? That defeats the purpose of using 1 device, you might as well just use the computer and forget the media streaming to the xbmc box.

Imagine --->>
you can have webcam chats with your friends, perhaps even multi webchats (chatroom), you see their video feed, they see yours.

It's better than the telephone! All from the simplicity of your remote + xbmc box + tv + couch

The great thing about XBMC is that it's portable and minimalistic, you don't need a mouse, a keyboard, bla bla bla of computer, and it uses the TV.
Add a webcam to that equation.

Requirements:
1. USB webcam drivers xbmc/xbox side
2. simple TCP/IP programming to connect with other xbmcERS

And if you're riding the "let's put everything with everything" (confluencish) bandwagon...
Well once the xbox/xbmc box has webcam usb drivers/support you can pretty much take advantage of this with python scripting, etc.. and add connectivity like
Google Video Chat
Justin.tv
Ustream..
MSN webcamming

Show your support! Make a reply.
State your constructive criticism.
Spread the knowledge, nothing else.Image
Ah but think how close you have to sit to your webcam. My living room settee is about 7 feet from my tv the person you are talking to would hardly be able to see you.
plex Wrote:The great thing about XBMC is that it's portable and minimalistic
Right there, you've nailed it. Web chat is out of scope. You're proposing a degradation in the very quality that you deem "the great thing" about XBMC.
I don't object to this feature being an Addon, assuming absolutely no time or effort is taken away for the core team to support it, and zero changes to the core. Why waste everyone's CPU and RAM for something a small number of people use? But if it really can be added as a third party extension, IMO knock yourself out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Webcam USB drivers/Webcam Chat0