[LINUX] HOW-TO get Digital Audio Pass-Through Output working on Linux with XBMC
I'm running Linux Mint 13 (based on ubuntu) and XBMC 11.0 and I'm having the same HDMI audio problem.

The magic bullet package seems to be libsdl1.2debian-alsa, but I don't have that in any of my repositories. I downloaded it from debian website, but it tells me that it breaks already installed package libsdl1.2debian. Note the lack of -alsa.

If I remove that package, it wants to remove tons of other stuff that came packaged with Mint

Quote:ffmpeg gecko-mediaplayer gnome-mplayer gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
kdenlive libav-tools libmjpegtools-1.9 libmlt++3 libmlt5 libsdl-image1.2
libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl1.2debian libxine1 libxine1-x melt
mint-meta-cinnamon-dvd mint-meta-codecs mjpegtools mplayer2 mythtv
mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-frontend
mythtv-transcode-utils transcode vlc xbmc xbmc-bin xine-ui

In the meantime, removing pulse has broken all audio in Linux, even at the desktop level

Edit: I have a mostly working setup. Mostly. I reinstalled pulse and got everything at the system level working. I have
Code:
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "iec958"
        }
}

In my .asoundrc file.

For my primary audio, I have Default (alsa), and my passthrough I have custom: plug:default.

Now, when I start up any movie file (mp3 or ac3 audio), I get no audio and video that plays about 2 fps UNTIL I pause and unpause the video. When I do that, I get passthrough and regular audio, but I have to do this for EVERY file. Not an ideal situation.

Here is my aplay-l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I can get mplayer to passthrough audio on device 0.7

EDIT AGAIN: Figures, 10 minutes after I post I stumble upon a working solution. In the alsa settings (when you click your volume control on the desktop) I have the option to output stereo by default or surround 5.1 by default. I had it set to 5.1. But if I change it to stereo, and leave the same settings, both passthrough and dolby audio work without a hitch. I don't get any XBMC menu sounds, but I don't really need it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Digital Audio Pass-Through Output working on Linux with XBMC2